Sub and Receiver wattage question...

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Darren Haycock, Sep 26, 2003.

1. Darren Haycock

Darren Haycock Second Unit

I know this is a pretty basic question, so sorry for the ignorance. I have a Yamaha RX-V440 receiver which is supposed to output 75 watts to every channel. However, I wasn't sure if I needed to worry about the watts of the subwoofer, as I don't have one yet. I've had my eye on the Tiny Mighty II which is 100 watts. Do I need to worry about the sub and the receiver being compatible wattage wise? I haven't really found anything in the manual about it. Any help would be appreciated.

2. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

The sub has an internal amplifier built in, one reason you will find that subwoofers usually cost more than other speakers you will buy. The subwoofer is connected by an RCA jack which you will see in the back of your reciever, it gives out no power.

So no, you won't have any problems.

3. dale^g

dale^g Stunt Coordinator

don't skimp on the sub, they're more important than speakers in some respects.

4. Darren Haycock

Darren Haycock Second Unit

Thanks guys for the informative responses. Dale, I know a good sub is important, but being a college student, I can't really afford SVS or anything like it. A good budget sub will have to do. [​IMG]