What's new

Sub and rear for dali fazon? (1 Viewer)

geronimo13

Auditioning
Real Name
Daniel Johansson
Hi!

I just redid my living room and we have agreed on Dali Fazon sat for front and center speakers. Only ones we could agree on :)

So i'm asking what nice small satellites I can use as rear speakers and what sub should I use?

My room is about 25sqm and with an opening of 1/3 of one wall into the kitchen.

I've been looking at focal dome or little bird as rear speakers? Thoughts?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Use the same type speakers for surrounds. Generally, it’s best if all speakers are identical or at least matched by manufacturer construction.

For sub, pick whatever fits your budget, room, and tastes. There are lot of good options including SVS, Hsu, and so on.

geronimo13

Auditioning
Real Name
Daniel Johansson
DaveF, thank you for your reply. I know that would be ideal but its not possible as they are to big.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hey, Daniel! :welcome: Welcome to the HTF!

Doesn't Dali make some pretty small satellite speakers? What's "too big?"

As for a sub...what DaveF said. Look at SVS or Hsu. Their subs come in all sizes/prices.

geronimo13

Auditioning
Real Name
Daniel Johansson
The Fazon sat is to big for rear. I've seen the mikros but they are a tad big to. Saw Boston Aoucustics had something small that might work.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Just an FYI - If you are looking for a 5.1 setup, the 'rear' speakers go on the side of the main listening position. They are just called "surrounds". Rear surround is for 7.1. I say this because it may make a difference in the size of speakers you are looking for.

It is best to keep all the speakers from the same family so they are sound the same (timbre matched). If you have to use different speakers for the surrounds, you may or may not notice it. Hard to say for sure unless you try it.

Agree with the sub - get it from a manufacturer whose main business is making subs.

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/surround-sound-speaker-setup/5-1-setup.html

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’m not familiar with Dali Fazon. But my experience is that all speaker manufacturers make speakers meant for home 5.1 setups including smaller satellites matching larger front mains.

I’d contact Dali and ask for a recommendation for your situation.

Or I’d consider choosing an ensemble of speakers from a company that can provide a matched ensemble that fits your needs.

If you’re set on buying mismatched fronts and surrounds — which some smart people say is no longer considered a problem — I’d suggest having a receiver with Audyssey to do room correction and also help adjust for differences between the speakers.

geronimo13

Auditioning
Real Name
Daniel Johansson
Just an FYI - If you are looking for a 5.1 setup, the 'rear' speakers go on the side of the main listening position. They are just called "surrounds". Rear surround is for 7.1. I say this because it may make a difference in the size of speakers you are looking for.

It is best to keep all the speakers from the same family so they are sound the same (timbre matched). If you have to use different speakers for the surrounds, you may or may not notice it. Hard to say for sure unless you try it.

Agree with the sub - get it from a manufacturer whose main business is making subs.

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/surround-sound-speaker-setup/5-1-setup.html

Yeah I know this. But until we build a house and I get a cinema room. I have to live with this room layout. I told my missus the ideal place for the couch is not against a wall. Guess how that went? :D

geronimo13

Auditioning
Real Name
Daniel Johansson
I’m not familiar with Dali Fazon. But my experience is that all speaker manufacturers make speakers meant for home 5.1 setups including smaller satellites matching larger front mains.

I’d contact Dali and ask for a recommendation for your situation.

Or I’d consider choosing an ensemble of speakers from a company that can provide a matched ensemble that fits your needs.

If you’re set on buying mismatched fronts and surrounds — which some smart people say is no longer considered a problem — I’d suggest having a receiver with Audyssey to do room correction and also help adjust for differences between the speakers.

Good input. Any recommendations on recievers?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Honestly, I think any recent vintage, brand name AVR with Audyssey will be quite good. All the better if it’s Audyssey MultXT 32, which is in higher end receivers. People like Denon, Marantz, Onkyo*, Yamaha, etc.

* I used Onkyo for 20 years. They were, probably still are the feature per dollar leader. But they had a bunch of hdmi problems, and a bug recall in recent years so some folks are skittish about them. My most recent purchase was a Marantz, which is nice.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Though if you care about 4K UHD HDR Dolby Vision stuff you’ll have to pay attention. There are threads on that in the receiver forum. I’m not yet upgrade to 4K and am not knowledgeable about that stuff yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks