Sub and amp wiring question, need advice.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JerryW, Jan 9, 2002.

1. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

Ok, I presently have a single EBS alignment Shiva (142.5L) and am going to get two more (I really love my bass). [​IMG]
    My question is, I presently have a Kenwood Basic M2A 250Wx2 (400Wx2 @ 4ohms) amp and am wondering if I'd be able to wire two of the subs in series (4ohm + 4 ohm = 8ohm). I'd be running the last of the 3 subs by itself to the remaining channel, it would represent a 4 ohm load on that channel. Would this setup be worthwhile to do, and what kinds of problems might it present? What kind of output could I expect from the two subs running in series?
    I wouldn't be doing this permanently, just for a little while until I get together some money to buy another decent amp (I don't like the cheap plate amps). Probably be getting a 200-250W monoblock, or something similar.
    Thanks for your input.

2. Bob Christensen

Bob Christensen Stunt Coordinator

I am not familiar with the Kenwood model you are using, but I would make sure that it is stable into unbalanced loads (most consumer amps are not) if you wnat to go your proposed route.

Personally, I would wire the voice coils in series within each subwoofer, and then wire the boxes in parallel. This will give you a 5.3 ohm load, which your amp should handle no problem. This will also give you a more efficient subwoofer system. Bridge your amp channels and you should be good to go.

3. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

I think it would be ok with unbalanced loads, it's a pretty good quality consumer amp.

Sorry, I did think about that idea, but the M2A isn't bridgeable.