1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Sub and amp wiring question, need advice.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JerryW, Jan 9, 2002.

1. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

Ok, I presently have a single EBS alignment Shiva (142.5L) and am going to get two more (I really love my bass). [​IMG]
    My question is, I presently have a Kenwood Basic M2A 250Wx2 (400Wx2 @ 4ohms) amp and am wondering if I'd be able to wire two of the subs in series (4ohm + 4 ohm = 8ohm). I'd be running the last of the 3 subs by itself to the remaining channel, it would represent a 4 ohm load on that channel. Would this setup be worthwhile to do, and what kinds of problems might it present? What kind of output could I expect from the two subs running in series?
    I wouldn't be doing this permanently, just for a little while until I get together some money to buy another decent amp (I don't like the cheap plate amps). Probably be getting a 200-250W monoblock, or something similar.
    Thanks for your input.

2. Bob Christensen

Bob Christensen Stunt Coordinator

I am not familiar with the Kenwood model you are using, but I would make sure that it is stable into unbalanced loads (most consumer amps are not) if you wnat to go your proposed route.

Personally, I would wire the voice coils in series within each subwoofer, and then wire the boxes in parallel. This will give you a 5.3 ohm load, which your amp should handle no problem. This will also give you a more efficient subwoofer system. Bridge your amp channels and you should be good to go.

3. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

I think it would be ok with unbalanced loads, it's a pretty good quality consumer amp.

Sorry, I did think about that idea, but the M2A isn't bridgeable.