What's new

Sub amplifier choice (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Hughes

Auditioning
Hello everyone. I've been putting together a nice budget home theater system and have found most of the information from searching around here. Thanks for all the info. Now I've come to the part of chosing an amp for my AA Avalanche 18 in a 14ft3 enclosure tuned to 15hz. I've been looking at a Carvin HD900(900 x 1 @ 4ohms) and a PE plate amp (1000 x 1 @ 4ohms). I would like to know which would be a better choice between plate amps and pro amps. I am open to any other suggestions as well. Also, is there anything other equipment I need to make either one of these work/perform better? Thank you.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Trade offs really....

The Carvin will probably have fan noise.

The Plate Amp won't provide as much peek power.

Pro-amps excel at providing rather open ended peak power. Plate amps usually come with extras too.. Cross-overs/electronics /ect..ect..

John S

Senior HTF Member
I have to say... After re-reading his post...

If I had an 18" tuned to 15hz? I'd go for the pro amp.

KeithMoechnig

Stunt Coordinator
I'm going to agree with john. I'd look at the Crown XLS 402 or 602 amp on ebay. Both are cheaper than that 1000 watt plate amp.

Jeremy Hughes

Auditioning
Thanks guys for the feedback. That's exactly the kind of answers I was looking for. I think I will go with the Crown XLS 402 amplifier you suggested. In order to use this, I know I need some kind of RCA to XLR adapter but besides that is there anything else you suggest? Thanks again for the help!

Jeremy Hughes

Auditioning
Thanks for the recommendation...lol. Just so I know I get the right adapters, I figured I'd ask you guys for one more favor...lol. I don't want to get the wrong ones and pick up noise or anything like that so, which plugs or adapters should I get/do I need?

Jeremy Hughes

Auditioning
Thanks so much for the help. Just wanted to make sure I picked the right ones. I wouldn't have been able to put together such a great budget home theater without the knowledge I found here. Thanks guys.

TimDean

Grip
Your Avalance sub is a dual 2 ohm sub, so make sure you sub amp can handle a 4 ohm load (bridged mono).. that Crown XLS402 might get a little hot at 4 ohm mono. Let us know how it turns out. (I just purchased a crown CE 1000 for my avalanche 18".. havent hooked it up yet, but its rated for 1100rms @ 4 ohms bridged :))

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks