Sub Amp Wiring Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rick Guynn, Mar 9, 2002.

1. Rick Guynn

Rick Guynn Second Unit

I want to wire up a sub so that I may use one of two amps at any given time (see my post on problems with PSWD-112 amp for reasons).

The original amp I am currently leaving in the box and would like to leave connected to the driver for troubleshooting purposes.

What I want to do is put a pair of binding posts on the back of the cabinet to be able to hook up an external amp to the sub. I would like to wire the original amp into these posts as well, thereby making it possible to run either one of the amps on the sub.

My concern is that even with the unused amp turned off, the power from the amp in use might damage something in the output stage on the amp that is 'turned off'.

Does this make any sense? Is this a bad idea?

Thanks

Rick

2. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

It would be mandatory to install a high power handling switch (probably with isolated grounds) that selects the output of one amp or the other. If you don't the amps will be damaged.

3. Rick Guynn

Rick Guynn Second Unit

That's What I was afraid of... guess I'll have to think of something else.. thanks for the reply. [​IMG]
    Rick

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Rick,

Since you’re handy enough to install a binding post, try this:

Install a second binding post. For this one disconnect the wire from the speaker – in other words, the speaker wire from the amplifier would go this binding post.

For the binding post you were going to originally install, run a new wire from it to the sub driver.

This will allow you to use the new amplifier, but if you want to trouble-shoot or even go back to using the original plate amp, all you have to do is patch a short jumper cable across the two binding posts.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

5. Rick Guynn

Rick Guynn Second Unit

That's an excellent idea [​IMG]
    I think I will do that one. It would make the chores easier...
    Thanks!
    Rick