What's new

Sub amp, which would you suggest? (1 Viewer)

I am building my own enclosure and I have the driver that I am going to use. All I need now is a good amp to push the sub. I know alot about car audio and I install systems all the time, but I can tell home audio is a totally different beast. I know what companies to go to for mono block power amps in car audio, but I have no clue where to look for a high output amp for the home... So can you help me? Here is what I have:

I am going to use a subwoofer that I had in a SUV a few months back. It is a Resonant Engineering HC 18" driver. I will be making a ported box for it tuned to mid to high 20's. I don't know exactly how big of a box to make so far, but that is for a different thread...

The sub is rated at 1500 watts RMS, but I know with a rather large box it can be pushed to xmax with half that. So what model amps should I look at that put out between 800-1000 watts? Also I need it to be on the cheaper side (300-450.)

Any suggestions? Or is this going to be overkill?

Thanks

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
All the really high-powered amps are pirated from the pro audio world, brands like QSC, Crown, Behringer, Mackie, etc. However, unless your driver/alignment is exceedingly inefficient, you really don’t need anything on the order of 800-100 watts. People don’t listen to home theater at 140dB.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks