Sub amp fan noise

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Charles J P, Dec 6, 2001.

1. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    I am powering my SVS CS with an AudioSource Amp5.3 250watt into 4ohm monoblock amp. The problem is, this is a fan cooled amp with a very loud fan that runs 100% of the time that the amp is on. I am moving into a new house in June, and will be moving my setup from a closed entertainment center to an open style flexy rack. The fan noise will be audible over soft to moderate passages when it is out in the open, which is unnacceptable. I suppose I could ebay the amp and buy another which is not fan cooled. I would have to be able to break even on the deal though, and I have never ebayed anything before, so that would be a hassle. I didnt know if cutting the power to the fan would ASSURE me of burning up the amp and burning down my house or not. Or I wondered if I could replace the fan with a quiet PC cooling fan or anything. Any thoughts?

2. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

Don't mess with the fan. Components in the amplifier could get very hot and cause a problem. E-bay is the way.

3. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Put the amp in the closet and just run longer cables. Or, sell it and get the Samson AMP.