Sub amp and extra attenuation ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Martice, Mar 7, 2003.

1. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

I have a pro amp and love it so far. However, it seems that the levels are too low and I have to jack up the settings in order to reach the levels that I'm looking for. I've been told to investigate a signal attenuator or a line driver.

Is the SVS black box the only solution or can I find a level attenuator some place cheaper?

SVS Black Box

Are there any other more cost effective solutions that I could apply hear or is this it?

Thanks

2. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

I figured out an alternative that works fine.

thanks

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    For the record, Martice, if you have a problem with low signal levels, you don’t want to “add insult to injury,” as it were, with a signal attenuator. [​IMG]

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Wayne,

I was going to say the same thing. Sounds like "attenuating" the signals will only worsen the problem! [​IMG]

5. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

Thanks guys. I stand corrected. I figured that out the "easy way" for once. The good thing is that I was able to further educate myself a little more and wound up recalibrating the system and the bass levels are very good and healthy.

So thanks again guys.

6. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

7. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

Thanks Rob. I like the Mono version better. I will look into it.

I think I may have found the culprit but it seems a little off. On the rear of the BFD unit it has a switch that reads "Output level". It has one setting at -10db and another at +4db. The switch was set to -10db and so I chose the +4db setting and I was then able to bring down my overall sub level and recalibrate with more heardroom and no longer have a sense of lacking power. It could've been that I also had a bad cable connection and unknowingly remedied the situation when I reinserted the cable after cleaning it and maybe the output level switch has nothing to do with the restored bass I'm hearing and feeling.

What seems off is that the manual calls the -10db setting the "home audio" setting and the +4db the "studio setting". I'm currently using the "Studio setting".

My gut tells me that the fact that I am using a Pro amp makes switching to the +4db the right thing to do.

Anymore information on this strategy would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks