What's new

Sub Advice Needed (1 Viewer)

Troy S

Agent
Looking for floor shaking bass in the $300 range...is there such a thing?

I would love to get a SVS, but right now the budget just won't allow. Probably 60% HT and 40% music. Am I crazy or is this remotely possible?

Heath_E

Stunt Coordinator
What are your room dimensions; width,length and height. Also, are there any openings to other rooms?

Troy S

Agent
More info would probably help, wouldn't it!!
Kitchen and living room combined with a wall in between. Opens directly to kitchen and steps to the upstairs. Actual room that it will be in is roughly 18' x 20' with 12' ceilings and all carpet. Dividing wall covers about half the opening to the kitchen and has 4' above it that also opens to the kitchen.

ShaunLB

Stunt Coordinator
It can be done, I have a friend whose budget was less and room was about the same size (higher ceiling even).

He got the 250 watt PE amp for like $130, about $20 or so in MDF board, and bought a 15" BOSS car subwoofer from a friend for about $30. Now the box material (unfinished, just bare wood) and amp together will put you around $150, find a good 12" or 15" that can take some abuse (for such a large room) and you should be in business.

His sub (huge box too by the way) will shake the contents of your pockets out at over 12" away...its a monster.

Troy S

Agent
I figured that it would be tough to do with that small budget. But, the 10 year-old cheap floor speakers that I currently use do pretty good in the room. Of course they are not great sound or anything, but they carry bass pretty well, although I have no idea how low they go. I would just love to add a sub right now as the budget allows to get the lower HT experience and a little more of the boomy bass.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
You won't be able to go low AND loud for $300...but if you can find something like the Klipsch ksw-15 on sale(it is an older model)...that would offer a lot of clean bass down to the 32-35hz range for you.

Tom V.
SVS

Troy S

Agent
Thanks Tom. What would it take to get deep, strong floor shaking bass in an amplified sub? Something that would do well musically and for HT. Looking to set up with front floorstanders / bookshelves that are full range set to large, center, and small surrounds. Thanks for all the help guys!! I'm new and ask a lot of questions!!

Domonic A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Domonic Ableidinger
I have an older NHT 12" Sub with a detached amp that fills my room just fine. My room size is 12 x 20 x 12' vaulted and it opens up into the dining room and kitchen. I would recomend checking out some different manufacturers and talk with them. Then keep an eye out for some deals on the internet. I have seen some good deals on Ebay.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks