Sub advice-ACI Titan VS SVS VS Adire Dharma??? I NEED HELP!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by rodneyH, Sep 22, 2001.

1. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

I have it narrowed to these 3
    Titan-Great sound, beautiful cabnet (looks like real funature), small footprint (less room), $$ back guarentee, great musical and HT sub, sealed, great reviews, on sale $699
    SVS 20-39-Great sound, different cabnet (I like it more that traditional cabnets, but the Titan is even prettier), tall, $$ back guarentee, great for music and HT (more for HT), Ported, great reviews, $749 (pc), $449+AMP (CS).
    Adire Dharma-Many more ??? it is still a fairly new item, huge footprint, ported, more of an HT (I am Music>HT), pretty cabnet (but the size has me worried), awesome price at $599, $ back guarentee ??
    I know I keep asking these dumb questions, and I told myself that I would never ever buy audio gear on the internet, and here I am, I just want to make sure I do it right this time. I sold my m&k today (along with 1/2 my other old "stuff"), so I have $$ burning a whole in my pocket, I just ordered a SACD 222ES, and this is my next purchase.
    my system (after I just sold some stuff)
    B&W CDM7NT
    B&W CDMCNT
    B&W 601
    Parasound preamp av-1800
    NAD amp 2 X 80
    Rotel amp 3 X 150
    Techniques DVD-A player
    ANY advice or experience with these subs would be much appreciated.

2. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

The titan doesn't even belong in the same thread as the other 2...not if a subwoofer's ability to play low/loud/clean simultaneously is an important factor for you.
    I don't think you'd be sorry buying either the adire or svs...both appear to be outstanding cost/performance ratios.
    TV

3. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

tom, thanks for the reply. Can you be more specific, I have read great things about the Titan.

4. Tom Vodhanel

>>>Can you be more specific, I have read great things about the Titan.

5. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

If you look at the reviews at audioreview, I think you'll find MANY satisfied TitanII owners and they ain't doin' a whole lot of complainin'. I think it all depends on how big your room is, and how loud you like to listen. As far as shear output capability, I'm sure the SVS has more than the TitanII. Then again, it depends on how loud you like to listen. Also, I've heard that a sealed sub tends to have a little bit better transient response. I'd say that for large rooms and HTF, the SVS will beat the TitanII hands down. For small to medium size rooms, they'll probably perform similarly, with the TitanII being able to integrate with satellites a slight bit easier. Try em BOTH! You can return either one.

6. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

It looks like it is coming down to the Dharma VS SVS. It sounds like the Titan was good in its day, but so was my M&K that I just sold, and with the recent popularity and info on the internet, it is much easier to find the very BEST products for the $$$.
    Tom, thanks for all your input, you guys rock!! (perhaps that is why I am leaning more towards the svs right now, If only I could find a scs 20-39 cs in "b-stock" that would make the decision for me, but every time I have gone there in the last 2 months-NOTHING seems to be there any more, I guess I will keep looking, I have heard of people finding them in that time period, I guess they just got lucky).
    anyone have anymore advice??

7. Steve Satch

Steve Satch Stunt Coordinator

There's a few guys posting on the hometheatertalk board about bottoming out problems with the Dharman. I'm starting to wonder if I should cancel my Dharman order and save a bit more for the powered SVS 20-39.

8. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

I am starting to lean toward a 25-31 with a custom port to go to about (?) 22-23 Hz, I am thinking that since I listen to more music than HT, the frequencies would match my listening tastes more. I waver between the 2 about every hour.
    Tom, let me know if I am on the right track??? does the custom port cost anything extra??

9. John Morris

John Morris Guest

HEY: SVS or ADIRE: I can say in 5 days... guaranteed!
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    [​IMG]
    God Bless America!!!

10. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

does that mean that you are doing a test between the 2??

11. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

tom, you have mail

12. Tom Vodhanel

>>>I am starting to lean toward a 25-31 with a custom port to go to about (?) 22-23 Hz, I am thinking that since I listen to more music than HT, the frequencies would match my listening tastes more. I waver between the 2 about every hour. Tom, let me know if I am on the right track??? does the custom port cost anything extra??

13. John Morris

John Morris Guest

14. Mario_C

Mario_C Stunt Coordinator

Titan II Vs. SVS
    It all depends on what you want the most. If music comes first go, with the Titan II. If HT comes first go with the SVS.
    This does not ean that the Titan II will not do well on HT or the SVS on Music. It's just that each sub was designed with different philosophies.
    There is a person here who owns a pair of SVS and recently bought a Vandersteen 2W. He liked the 2W so much for music that he is trying to get another one for stereo music subs. His SVS reproduce the LFE channel.
    Link: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/043285.html

15. Mark KU

Mark KU Stunt Coordinator

Mark
    Please, John. You really can't expect us to believe you've never purchased anything retail, then had the price drop on it a few weeks later. Like Tom said, they offer the 45 day return policy. There's no need to keep bringing it up all the time. They did NOT overcharge you. They charged you the going rate at the time. They have since dropped the price. Why you take it as a personal attack, I'll never understand. Just accept the generous return Tom offered, and buy something else.