What's new

sub-$300 *film* SLR? (1 Viewer)

Sathyan

Second Unit
Can you recommend a kit or body + normal lens under $300?

requirements:
35mm slides
supports off-camera flashes
supports filters
lens system compatible with a digital version
SLR
lens system includes normal, wide and tele
rather heavy - my digi is hard to hold still
both auto and full manual options

I currently has a Nikon 775 digital (which I plan on keeping). It works pretty well, but there are a few types of shots which it does not do well:
fast action (e.g. sports, nature)
low light
indoors
blowing up to very large sizes

I plan to shoot mainly B&W

Is the Canon Rebel G II any good?

thanks
sathyan

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You probably want to stay with either Canon or Nikon, considering your requirement that the lenses be comptible with digital SLRs. I think there are lens limitations with the Digital Rebel, though I am not sure what they are.

You are probably best off looking into a used film camera. If you want some weight, a Rebel may not be a good choice. They are very light, for an SLR. There are dozens of models which will provide all of your top list. The only one to make sure of is the manual/automatic feature. Try looking into something like a Nikon N70, used. It's pretty solid, has some heft and provides all your requirements. You should be able to find one in your price range.

Things like shooting indoors and under low light are often more understanding what you are doing than a limitation of the camera. Many digital cameras allow setting a pretty high ISO and will correct for color temperature, but that will always be more of a challenge with film. That's far too much to go into here. For that matter, shooting action is also more knowledge and skill than hardware.

John Kilroy

Stunt Coordinator
The Canon Elan II is a nice SLR. It meets all your requirements (and then some, like mirror lock up, etc.) You can look up the specs on Canon's site. I have one I am selling, if you are interested, email or PM me.

JK

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton

I believe that the Canon Digital Rebel and Nikon D70 have sensors that are smaller than a 35mm negative. You get a "crop factor" of 1.6 or so that shifts effective magnification towards telephoto. E.g., a 50mm lens acts as if it were an 80mm lens when you're using it on a DSLR body. Good if you need long telephoto shots with minimal lens purchases, not so good if you need wide angle shots.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Thomas, almost all DSLRs have a lens factor, usually 1.5 or 1.6, but that is not what I'm talking about. I seem to remember reading something about some EOS lenses not being usable on the digital Rebel because of how the mirror operates on it.

As far as I know, there is only one Canon with a full frame sensor and one Kodak available in both Canon and Nikon mounts, but we're talking pretty big bucks and probably nothing Sathyan is interested in.

Julie K

Screenwriter

Actually, the 18-55mm kit lens for the Digital Rebel is a new type of Canon lens - the EF-S. On other Canon cameras there is a danger of the mirror hitting the back of the lens, although some intrepid individuals have taken a hacksaw to the lens...

The Rebel does use all other Canon lenses in addition to this new one.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Something about taking a hacksaw to a lens just seems obscene to me.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Thank you Julie, I had it backwards. The Digital Rebel has a a double cambered (is that the word?) mirror that allows it to use lenses which extend into the chamber. Now my mind is at rest.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Yeah, nice way to risk a $1500 camera for a $100 lens. The guy either had too much time or money on his hands, or both!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks