Sub $300 Dolby Pro Logic II Receiver Opinions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Javier Villa, Jan 3, 2002.

1. Javier Villa

Javier Villa Auditioning

I'm looking for a sub $300 receiver that has dolby por logic II and I want to get the nicest sounding for my money. I don't care much about how loud, but about how good. I don't have speakers yet but want to start with the reciver. I have found 4, Kenwood Vr509, Onkyo 494, Denon 1602, Harman Kardon avr120. Each one of them has their strengths and weaknesses.

H/K Avr120 - Pros - 192khz DAC / Cons - 45 W output, DPLII Light Version

Denon 1602 - Pros - DPL II full version, 70 watts / Cons - Cheap Remote

Onkyo 494 - Pros - Brand recognition with ihgi quaility amplifiers / Cons DPLII light version

Kenwood vr509 - Pros - Learning remote, DplII full version / Cons - Not so good amp, so so quality

What is your opinion? I'm leaning towards Denon & Onkyo, but the Onkyo has DplII light version which I'm not sure what it exactly what it means (less customization options). Denon looks very good but it probably has lower quality amps than the onkyo?

Some questions. What are the cons of DplII? and when is onkyo launching their new line of recivers with possibly dplII full beacuse i've heard they were the first to realese dplII.

Happy New Year guys

2. Paul_Dunlop

Paul_Dunlop Second Unit

Hi
    I vote for the Denon 1602
    I own the 1601 - the power out of it is excellent and the features are perfect for my setup - I run it with Energy XL speakers.
    I only wish it had more digital inputs for future use, but with Denon, you need to go up a couple of models, meanwhile you're out the money.
    Good luck
    Paul

3. Nick L

Nick L Second Unit

I'm going to have to vote for the H/K AVR120. It has ample power with its high current amplifier, just as much(if not more) than any of the others listed. Plus it has Logic 7, which from everything I've been told and heard is much better than DPLII. So you would actually have more options with the HK.

Nick L

4. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

Go a few bucks over and get the Onkyo tx-ds595 for $325 online. It has PLII and is probably the best receiver in the $300 price range. Also, Onkyo gives a 6 month warranty when you buy from an unauthorized dealer. Check shopping.yahoo.com and put in the model number for best price.

5. Jason Hammerly

Jason Hammerly Supporting Actor

Where did you get your info on a 6 month warranty on non-authorized purchases for Onlyo receivers? thanks

6. Javier Villa

Javier Villa Auditioning

What about the DplII light version? What are is disadvantages.

What advatages does logic 7 Have? What are some of it features?

7. Jason Wolters

Jason Wolters Stunt Coordinator

I am voting for the Kenwood VR 507. I own it and really like it.

8. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I also recommend the Kenwood. I have the VR407, the predecessor for the 507, and its been great. The unit is great for its price, it has the best Bang for the Buck IMHO. It also has Circle Surround, I hear thats good as well.

9. Albert M

Albert M Stunt Coordinator

10. Javier Villa

Javier Villa Auditioning

Mainly audioreview.com people's opinion.

11. Albert M

Albert M Stunt Coordinator

Under there reviews or discussions?

12. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

"6 months or less" actually. Would be nice to know per item what the warranty is. Onkyo FAQ found at http://www.onkyo.net/uk/services/faq/index.htm:
    "I can order ONKYO products much cheaper via the internet, especially in the US! What's the trick?
    It is not possible to use US-models in Europe because of different voltage and also CE-confirmation regulations. We have to fulfill their requirements. Also the prices you found in the internet will not always work. Unfortunately we have many black traders which only try to get peoples attention by indicating such prices. If you order it very often takes weeks or months to get the product and then you might get a used or second hand or demonstration model plus you have a lot of problems once you need service, especially in the warranty time which is 24 months when buying at an authorized ONKYO dealer or 6 months or less when buying through black channels. Therefore we strongly recommend to only buy our products in the country where you live."

13. Haywood

Haywood Stunt Coordinator

Javier the Denon 1602 is the best choice, check the Denon web site I think the 1602 has 192khz DAC.
    Later Haywood [​IMG]

14. Nick L

Nick L Second Unit

Looking forward to what you decide. Please keep us posted.

Nick L