What's new

Sub $200 Receiver (1 Viewer)

GabeP

Stunt Coordinator

Jose G

Supporting Actor
I assume you want to know which one to get. The truth, probably any of these will be good for you, if what you want is to simply plug in the sub. I think the Onk is the one to look at since it's a 6.1 system and allows you more of an upgrade path in the future. What you nedd to do before you buy, however, is to check out the warranty on them. Is it a full year or two, or are you stuck with a 30 day? Also keep all your paper work when you buy and test it out right away- all channels. Don't just test the fronts with the sub and assume the rest works well. Refurb stuff is okay as long as you are organized, keep the paper work and check out the warrenty. One more thing, go to jr.com and compare the prices. I find that they sometimes have better deals than Circut City and often will ship for free. Good luck!

José

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Take a look at the Sherwood RD-6105. This is a 5.1 500 watt unit that sells for well under 200 bucks. I have had two. I sold one, but the one that powers my main HT is excellent. It has 1 optical, and two coaxial digital inputs, 6 channel direct inputs for SACD/DVD-A playback, DD and DTS decoding and has a Tape Monitor. I love mine.:)

GabeP

Stunt Coordinator
on j and R and circuit city, the prices were the same. and i can go to circuit city to get it, instantly and no shipping.

and tweeter has a sony for 200.

$199 at J and R
ONKYO Home Theater A/V Receiver TX-SR302S Silver
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.proc...bAc cessories

my sub is 100w, and the onkyo says 65 w per channel?

$179 at J and R
PIONEER VSX-D514 Multi-Channel Digital A/V Receiver Silver
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=3996866

This one has 100 w per channel

$179 at circuit
Pioneer 5.1-Channel Surround Sound Receiver (VSX-D514-S)
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Pione...oductDetail.do
same one but

$199 at circuit
Onkyo Surround Sound Receiver (TX-SR302)
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Onkyo...oductDetail.do

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

Don't knock the Sherwood receivers. Sherwood makes a lot of receivers that get sold under other name brands.

Finally, don't forget about the used market. For your budget, you should be able to find a nice, used Denon AVR-1802 - which should give any of the listed receivers a good run for the money.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I have actually had very good luck with the Sherwood AVR's I have encountered. A fair amount of people buy them on price.

Jose G

Supporting Actor

I'm assuming your sub is powered- Do you plug it in? If so, the sub @ 100W has nothing to do with the receiver saying 65W. That's basically just how much juice the sub's amp has to offer the sub's woofer.

Brian_Fly

Stunt Coordinator
I would also look into the Panasonic SA-XR25 digital reciever. Cheap, SMALL, and good sound quality (thanks to the Texas Instruments equibit chip).

GabeP

Stunt Coordinator
i really don't want a combo, i got stuck with one last time, and i don't like them, BTW

I'm also looking for a nice prog scan dvd player.

I have a 20 inch Sony trinitron flat screen, and it has component, will component benefit it even if its not prog scan, (I might buy a new tv soon too.

Jim X

Auditioning
Hmm, I would like to help you with your decision, but unfortunately I am in the same boat and in need of a little advice.

Thanks, DorianBryant for pointing out that awesome price for the Sherwood receivers. I am pretty sure the 6.1 model is just the ticket, for me.

I have some questions about receivers in general, or I guess more specifically this model. There are 6 powered channels at 100w (obviously take that measurement with a grain of salt, but even if it only has 10 "real" watts that will be more than enough for me).

The subwoofer channel is labeled as "Subwoofer Preamp Output". This means that a subwoofer can not be powered by that channel, no? If the subwoofer cannot be powered by that channel it must be powered by something else. I have seen plenty of powered subwoofers, but would rather spend my money on something not so "cheapy". I am sure a "good" powered (active) sub is probably more around $250-400, which I am not willing to pay at all.

I have built speaker cabinets before for cars and would not flinch at making my own for my house, but where would I get the amp to power the sub. I have been looking around a little and seem to see no subwoofer specific amplifiers at all. Where would I get the power from if I don't want a powered subwoofer?

I am cheap by the way, very cheap. I am always looking for more "bang for the buck".

Note: GabeP, I didn't mean to hijack your thread or anything just hoping to tap into the knowledge!

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Jim, I have a powered sub made by Sony that I find very good. I is a 100 watt sub with an 8" woofer that I picked up at Radio Shack for 100 bucks. The original price was 199 bucks so I got a pretty good deal. It really shakes things up on my system.:)

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
The Sherwood RD-6105 for $77.00 blows away the much more expensive Yamaha RX-750 in stereo performance, according to this review from New Zealand. And not so bad at all in multi-channel neither.

Personally, I would pony up the $100.00 for the Sherwood RD-7108 because it has the same Crystal Semiconductor DSP chip as Rotel pre-pro's. The chip is clearly visible from the vent slots on the top.

http://shop3.outpost.com/product/360...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Jose G

Supporting Actor
Jim,
A powered sub as it's own internal amp. If you go to www.partsexpress.com you can look this up. That same very reputable site has a small subwoofer known here as the Tiny Might. Do a search here for it and you will see why it's worth getting, especially if you don't need much juice and don't want to pay a lot for a sub. It often goes on sale for under $100 and sometimes even ships for free.

As far as those receivers for $77 and $100. Well, they don't really compare to the Onkyo- take a close look at the specs. For many, however, that doesn't really matter.

Look at what you need and go with that. For example, do you want more input options and better upgrade options, or will you just get a new receiver when it's time?

Good luck!

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Jose, most of us know that "specs" don't mean a thing until you actually use and hear the equipment. The average buyer isn't taking the thing home and putting it in a sound lab. Heck, some companies even over state their specs. Listen to the Sherwoods, you'll be mildly surprised. I can assure you that the Sherwood receivers are great pieces of equipment. Danny, you are right, I would buy the RD-7108 too, I'm just taking into consideration the buyer's age (14) and the cash he could save at such a tender age. Oh, and Jose, CC usually carries those Sherwood models for $169.00 to $199.00. Further, www.Outpost.com is the Fry's Electronics Internet outlet. They are known for carrying rock bottom prices on all kinds of stuff. I bought an Onkyo HTiB for my Dad which retailed for $350.00 on Onkyo's website; the price at Outpost.com.........$99.00. Just because outpost sells them for rock bottom prices doesn't mean they are "throw away" or really cheaply made as Jose makes them out to be; that is definately not the case.:)

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
I ordered the 5.1 Sherwood for $85 as a secondary receiver. It should be here today. I dont expect it to beat out my HK, but it is a good deal-actual MSRP is $249. Also, it has digital inputs and 6 channel direct inputs.

Gabe, if you want budget- this is as low as you will find new, except for the KLH model which i would stay away from.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I don't understand this. If your current receiver does not have a preamp out for a sub, you can use the speaker output, the sub should have speaker ins and outs, this should work great, I used a sub with an older receiver this way for years. I don't think you need a new receiver at all Gabe.

eddieZEN

Second Unit
Gabe,

go to ecost.com and do a search for "Onkyo receiver."

You'll see them offered as low as $90 refurb for 2-channels, and about $180 for the 6-channel SR502 refurb.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks