What's new

Sub $200 HD DVD Player hits Wal-Mart (1 Viewer)

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Well it looks like the sub-200.00 HD DVD is finally a reality at Wal-Mart....And it doesn't come from a Chinese manufacturer.

Let the Holiday price wars begin...;)

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Someone posted a link to it at Avsforum.com in a thread about the HD-A2. If you google CC coupons you'd probably find it. It's for $40 off a total purchase of $199 or more. I bought a soda to bring it over $199!!!

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member

Those of you on the fence really have little holding you back now. The cost of "being wrong" on picking HD-DVD will now cost you less than the cost of 4 HD-DVDs themselves.

For $100 you can now have hi def DVD and upscaling of all your existing HD-DVDs.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I've been holding back for the right time and....blah, blah, blah
All done, I will be there to pick it up early. The last time my local Walmart had the Black Friday sale State Police made it's presence known to prevent rioting.

Boaty McBoatface

Second Unit
Real Name
Billy Posey
I just read on the electronic house website that on Friday Nov 2, if I understand correctly, that Walmart will be selling the A2 for 99 dollars.

Craig

Second Unit

Since the vast majority of dlp, plasma and lcd hdtvs currently in homes are 720p (or some variation like 768p), the HD-A2 is just the ticket for a lot of folks. It does output 1080i, btw, which I find actually looks better than the 720p output, I let my plasma do the scaling. I'm going to try feeding the 1080i output to my Samsung 56" 1080P dlp and see what the results are, although I'm really planning on getting a 1080P blu-ray player for the Samsung (figuring to have both format bases covered so to speak).

DougRuss

Stunt Coordinator

Yep...picked one up yesterday. Went back today and there were still 5 more on the Floor($99.00)

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

It's native output is 1080i, which is the exact same picture information as 1080p. A good deinterlacer (which 95% of 1080p TV's have) and the picture is indistinguishable from 1080p. I have both 1080i and 1080p going to my 1080p set. No difference in picture at all.

PS - Bitterness is not a very charming attribute. Neither is pissing on another person's purchases. Most adults don't act that way.

David Allen

Stunt Coordinator
Now now, that wasn't bitterness. That was sarcasm. Yes, I realize that most HD video displays sold at WalMart are 720p/1080i, so this is a perfect purchase for that crowd and they'll easily afford a 1080p player in a year or so when they decide to upgrade their plasmas or LCDs. I'm just surprised that people "savvy" enough to frequent HTF would openly advocate these players. It is an amazing deal considering the format is less than 2 years old. I might consider one as a bedroom unit, since I have no space for a decent 1080p panel in my tiny house. Sorry to ruffle your feathers folks. I'm just bitter about the whole format war, and don't feel like stacking up multiple players in my living room, along with a game console. I'm liking the idea of a media PC more and more.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks