What's new

Sub $1000 projector appropriate for outdoor movies? (1 Viewer)

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
My son in Texas has asked my advise on the best quality projector he can get for under $1000. He intends to use it for showing movies in his backyard, and it will not be set up all of the time. It's a gift for his wife, who just signed a contract for a permanent teaching position. I have little experience on projectors, so any help is appreciated!

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
look for a 480 or 720 resolution unit....then look at the lumens of light output.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
It also depends on how large he wants the screen. If projecting on the side of a house (a neighbor used to do this for sporting events) then sub-1k won't be enough power. If he just wants a 60" screen, then he should be okay at night. There are a lot of variables here.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by JustinCleveland

It also depends on how large he wants the screen. If projecting on the side of a house (a neighbor used to do this for sporting events) then sub-1k won't be enough power. If he just wants a 60" screen, then he should be okay at night. There are a lot of variables here.
I would disagree with this.

We've done "drive in movie nights" with friends and neighbors, and I use my old Infocus SP-4805 (480p, 700 Lumens or so). I set it up to project onto the side of my neighbor's gray house about 12ft wide. We have to wait until it is dark (not just sunset), but who went to the drive in before dark anyway? Once it is dark (a few weeks ago, we started at 9:20 or thereabouts), it was plenty bright.

For audio, we have everyone bring their boom boxes, and I use an FM modulator out of the portable DVD player (old Toshiba SDP-2000 with component progressive out), and away we go. Low budget, but everyone seems to love it!

Personally, I don't think I'd buy a new projector for this purpose. There are a ton of low-hour 480p and 720p projectors out there in the $500 or less range, and if the outdoor use kills it (I worry about the dew, which is a problem some nights), he won't be so upset.

noki123

Grip
Real Name
Faraz Alam
Watching movie in projectors is only enjoyable in night and in open air. I had one projector which me and myself used to watch movies in our garden. The screen should be atleast 60inch to enjoy the view of projector.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks