What's new

sub $1000 music pair. (1 Viewer)

Jacob C

Second Unit
Hi everyone, this is my first post. Im not looking to go all out here right now but I really need a nice stereo pair for music. I am looking for a full range speaker that can eventually make up the fronts on a 5.1 system. I heard some polk towers (dont remember the model #) but they seemed to be lacking, though it could have been the setup at Circuit City. I also ran across Axiom's site and the M60ti sounds like they are what I am looking for. I have not purchased an amp/receiver yet so I'm not limited there. The room these will be in is rather small but I do plan on moving into a bigger place at some point so I want to have something that is able to fill a bigger room. They will be used 95% for musics initialy but I need them to perform well for movies as I dont want to buy another pair when I build my home theater. I listen to a wide variety of music from jazz to rock to classical to electronic so I need somethig with solid but defined bass as well is a well articulated midrange. While will primarily be used for entertainment I will also be using them to trasncribe music and mastering soundtracks on some small independent movies. This demeands the speakers have a flat response (i.e. minimal coloration) to preserve a good balance on the movie track when played on other speakers. (i.e. if my speakers are weak on bass I may overcompensate and raise the bass level too much) That said, I am looking for a good soundstage as well. I like speakers with crisp airy highs but I am willing to go with a with a 'warmer' sound if that is my best option in this price range. I know this is a tough order for less than $1000 but thats all I can possibly get together at this point. Please let me know if I have overlooked anything I should consider in a speaker. This is my first time buying a decent set of speakers. Other than that my best set are my polk db 6x9s in my car. Many thanks to those who take the time to respond.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Shop around a little more to get and idea of brands that sound really good to you. This will help you to evaluate the online speakers like the axioms. Find speakers you like in stores, then find reviews comparing the online speakers to the speakers you like. Granted, everyone's ears hear things differently, but it's the best way to evaluate the speakers without actually listening to them.

Definitely look at B&W (603's), Paradigm, Klipsch, and JBL to get an idea of what you like. Each have offerings in your price range and can be found in most cities without too much trouble.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
I'll toss out a vote for the Paradigm Monitor 11s. If you want a speaker that will be able to fill a larger room, this one can do the job.

Jacob C

Second Unit
Well, I found another place that had the polks and the sounded much better there. I think I heard the monitor 50s and 70s. The 50s were too weak in the bass but sounded good for the price. The 70's were much better but I was getting a lot resonance in the last few low octaves. I think this was due to the room and not the speakers though. I also found the B&W 603 to be decent. They were, however, in a lousy demo room but still had a good sound. I also listened to some 604s wich were great but a little too much $$ for me. The place with the B&W's also had Phase Technology which were prety harsh sounding I would have thought it was the amp but we were useing the same amp for both the phase tech and the B&W's. To make a long story short. Polk is back on my list, Phase Tech is off, and I am considering the B&W 603 . I think the 604s are much better but they are too expensive. I would like something a little brighter than the B&W's if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks!

Jacob C

Second Unit
Well, I will continue to document my search here. Maybe it will help some one out some day. I listened to a pair of Def Tech BP7006 in a very well set up listening room at a local dealer. I've always liked the bipole design and the highs had about the right brightness for me. My only concerns are #1 the built in subs, how big of a nightmare is it to set up compared to a single sub? and #2 though they are pretty nice speakers with a solid bottom end Im not sure they are what I am looking for in a music pair. They listening room was well set up and didnt add much coloration from what I could tell. It was much better that the other places I had visited. Over all I like the speaers but am not sure they are what I need. Feel free to comment but please explain your suggestion. i.e. dont say "Def Tech sucks" or anything like that. Something on the order of "speaker X is better than Def Tech because it images better" and such. Thanks.

WayneO

Supporting Actor
Give the Paradigm Monitor 7, 9, 11's a try. They will be brighter than the B&W's you listened to.

Ricky c

Stunt Coordinator
What will you be using for amplification?The reason i ask is if you want bright sounding your amplification could come into play.I personally think yamaha receivers tend to be on the bright side as compared to marantz or rotel.Also klipsch speakers i understand are bright sounding.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Odd I've never heard a PT be harsh or anyone complain that they are harsh.

You might try Energy and PSB.

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
The dealer's well set up room is the key to unlocking Def Techs potential.

Look at Rocket 550s and Ascend Acoustics 340s with a sub. If you intend this to be part of a 5.1 system why not look at 2.1.

Jacob C

Second Unit
I have conisdered 2.1 but as of yet have not found a 2.1 that can compare to a tower at my current budget. Today I listened to some Paradigm Monitor and Studio (as well as the signiture series, just for fun though)series speakers. The Monitor 7 was IMO better than everything I hd listened to at that point but the Monitor 11s were better. I also listened to the Studio 40s and they were really nice but were a little more that I wanted to spend. I really liked the midrange on the studio series. I was also impressed by the bass it had. It was tight, articulate, and sufficiently deep for my musical taste. I am now stuck, I have 3 great speakers that I like but Im not sure which to go for. I can hear the advantages to the Monitor 11's and Studio 40's over the Monitor 7's but I am not sure it is worth the extra money as I am rather impressed by the monitor 7's. I just wish it had a little tighter, more defined, bass. If i could get the Studio 40's for $1000 It would make the descision pretty easy. Does anyone have recomendations on other speakers that sound similar to the Paradigms? I would certainly be willing to check them out. Oh, this place also had the Def Techs so I listened to them again. I was really surprised how much more distortion there was. Im supposed to listen to some Rocket 750's sometime this week. That may change things.

David Bikeman

Stunt Coordinator
"I also listened to the Studio 40s and they were really nice but were a little more that I wanted to spend."

"Does anyone have recomendations on other speakers that sound similar to the Paradigms?"

From my experience, if you like the sound of the Studio 40, you will like the sound of the Ascend 340's.

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...m/cmt340m.html

The Studio's go a little lower but with a competent sub that won't be an issue. The Studio's also have a more expensive finish but that wasn't much of an issue with me. I needed black and the Ascend's come in black.
The price difference should put a smile on your face. Once you listen to the 340's, you'll have an even bigger smile.

David

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
I was a big Paradigm fan who converted to Ascend. I think the 340s and a good sub can hold their own against Studio 100s.

David Bikeman

Stunt Coordinator
I'm certain that the Salk's are a fine speaker but I do take issue with several of the things on his website. What he lists as "minefields" are really strengths if you have some basic knowledge and the ability to apply it. Every speaker has tradeoffs and the Salk's are no different in that regard. I perfer a company that concentrates on it's strengths and not pointing out how other companies using different criteria have weaknesses.

David

JimMIT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
"If i could get the Studio 40's for $1000 It would make the decision pretty easy."

Jacob - Almost any Paradigm authorized dealer should be willing to discount the Studio 40's around 15%. That would put them at $1,020 + tax. So, I don't think that they are out of your reach. It will take some negotiating.

In my experience, whether or not and how much a dealer dealer is willing to discount depends one or more of the following factors:

1) Whether or not he view you as a serious customer; he's not likely to talk discounts unless he believes you are ready, willing and able to buy.

2) Whether or not you are buying other items as part of a package. In some cases, the more stuff you buy, the more bigger the discount.

3) Whether or not he views you as a repeat business customer. In other words, does he believe that you will come back to him for other gear, upgrading, cables & accessories, etc. Let him know that if he does right by you, you'll be back.

4) And finally, does he have competition. You need to be willing to travel, if you can, to other Paradigm dealers in your search. Obviously is it better if you can buy from your local dealer; better for you and better for him and the community in general. But, if you are able to say to your local dealer, "Well, I priced these Studio 40's at ABC Sound and they are willing to give me xx% off," your local dealer should be more amenable to matching or at least coming close to that discount.

Also, in most cases, it's better to deal directly with the store manager or better yet, the owner.

I'm a Paradigm owner (Studio 20's) and I believe they are one of the best bargains in audio. The Studio 40's are exceptionally nice speakers and are well worth the money. If you like the Paradigm sound, don't give up; spend a little time and effort on making them yours. You won't regret it.

Jacob C

Second Unit
I still need to go back and listen to them with my own music. I am also intrigued by the Ascend 340s. If anyone in the Green Bay, WI area would give me a demo it would be awesome. Though I have a hard time believing the 340s could possibly compete with the Studio 40s I feel that I would be short changing myself if I don't at least listen to them. They are half the price! It would be great if a few more people could comment on the differences between the Studio 40s and the Ascend 340s. If the 340s come close to the 40s I think I would go with them because I could then afford a few more goodies. I love the finish on the Paradigms but I have a few friends that are complete morons so they will probably end up scratching one of the sooner or later anyway. I guess I find it hard to ignore the lack of negative comments on the 340s. In short, if I don't have to spend $1000 on speakers to be happy with the sound I don't want too. I just never believed it possible till I heard the Paradigm Monitor series..... but then I heard the Studios :). Anyway, I appreciate all of your comments. I have wanted a nice set of speakers for so long but could never justify it till I got my current job. I have too many expensive hobbies. The info on negotiating prices may prove useful as well. I actually work in commission sales myself so I know how to work the system. My favorite trick is the "I have $x today, if you can give it to me for that I'l take em. Otherwise I need to listen around some more and see if I can find something closer to what I wanted to spend." It is also important to let them know that they have to potential of building a long term customer as well. Sorry for the long post, thanks again!

JimMIT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
Jacob - Another thought: If you are enthralled by the Paradigm sound and you want to save some money, do yourself a favor and audition the Studio 20's. IMO they sound better than the 40's -- not quite as full but noticeably better imaging and soundstaging. If your are going to have a sub, you won't miss the fullness of the 40's. When I was speaker shopping, I listened to both and though I could afford the 40's, I went with the 20's. I have them in my 18' x 18' x 12' family room (and open to other rooms)and they don't have any trouble filling that huge space. Here's a review: Studio 20's. The Studio 20's MSRP for $800 and can be had for under $700.

This is not to take anything away from the Ascend 340's. I've never heard them and you could very well find them to be a better sounding speaker. But in your search for the best speakers for you, don't sell yourself short. At least give the Studio 20's a listen. Then you'll be in the best position to know which sounds better -- to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks