sub $100 dvd player w/progressive scan

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Steven J. Hurst, Jun 5, 2003.

1. Steven J. Hurst

I know this may have been asked before but the search led me to about 500 days of reading material!

Anyone have advice for a player witha cost of less than $100 w/progressive scan, and without major image issues?

This is a bedroom dvd player and I do not need all the features, but it will be output to a samsung txn2075whf or txn3098whf depending on which I am able to buy for my budget.

Advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You,
    Steve Hurst

2. Steven J. Hurst

No one has any advice for me?

3. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

The good thing about Fry's Electronics (if you ever go into the Bay Area that is) is that you can return the player without a hassle if you don't like it. They routinely advertise $99 progressive scan DVD players. Sorry, I have no personal experience with one.

4. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    I would suggest trying one of the cheap new JVC and Panny players and see which you like better since it sounds like you have access to a dealer w/ a good return policy, eg. Fry's.

Not sure about the

5. Ronn.W

Ronn.W Second Unit

I'd suggest the Toshiba SD 3900. A great player, only $99.

6. Lynn Little

Lynn Little Stunt Coordinator

"I'd suggest the Toshiba SD 3900. A great player, only $99."

I bought a JVC XV-N50BK Sunday, exchanged it yesterday for a Tosh 3900. Even with the CUE bug, it looks better than the JVC.

The JVC had this weird jerky quality to moving images. When I returned it, I was surprised that the guy at Best Buy knew about the jerky quality.

7. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

8. Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel Second Unit

This week, Target.com is running a web-only special on the Samsung DVD-P231 Progressive Scan Player for $89. free shipping too.

I must say I was quite tempted myself. I did a little digging however and found that Samsung has 4 prog-scan DVD players. All of them over $150 have 3:2 pulldown. The above, cheaper one however does not list 3:2 pulldown.

Scott