Styx "CYCLORAMA" a fun listen...

Discussion in 'Music' started by David Tolsky, Jul 30, 2004.

1. David Tolsky

David Tolsky Supporting Actor

Back toward the beginning of last month Silverline released a new Styx DVD-A, Cyclorama Even Styx fans from way back should not be dissappointed in this release. Tommy Shaw and "JY" are still with the band, and Chuck Panazzo even makes an appearance as well. The tracks manage to sound fresh while still showcasing the signature sound that Styx is known for. What will knock you out are the background harmonies coming from the surrounds. When you hear them, you'll know you're listening to a Styx album. The disc includes MLP audio and Dolby Digital 5.1 mixes, A 2-channel mix, and onscreen lyrics. There is a short studio commentary by Tommy Shaw and engineer Gary Loizzo that's kind of lame, and a few "videos" of songs (if you can call them that). The videos merely show scenic landscapes and kalaidascope images throughout. We don't get to see the band in it's current state performing. However, get this disc for the music alone. It's kind of a throwback to the rock 'n roll that you remember from the '70's, yet it holds up today with a great 5.1 channel mix.

2. Jan H

Jan H Cinematographer

Embarrassed as I am to admit it, Styx was the first band I loved. I was 11, and I absolutely had to have Pieces of Eight. Luckily, within the next couple of years I discovered Rush, Led Zeppelin, Yes, The Who, and Hendrix, and I realized (particularly after the ridiculousness that was Kilroy Was Here) that there was better music out there. Still, I thank Styx for opening the doors of rock to me, and I damn well just might investigate buying the DVD-A, for old times sake.

3. mark alan

mark alan Supporting Actor

WATCH IT!!!!! That 1983 Kilroy Was Here tour was the greatest night of my life (up to that point).

Domo arigato, Mr. Roboto

4. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

Looks like the first time somebody got lucky [​IMG]

While I was never a huge Styx fan, hearing them without DeYoung does sound intriguing. I always thought his mellow and grandstanding effects were the main reasons for the band's negative image and enjoyed the Tommy Shaw tunes much more.... Hangman, Too Much Time on My Hands, etc.

Love the VH-1 "Behind the Music" where the current band members just cringe when talking about Dennis writing a follow-up to "Babe".

5. David Tolsky

David Tolsky Supporting Actor

I'm dating myself, but I think the first concert I ever saw was the Grand Illusion tour. After Pieces of Eight I started to lose interest. If I had to choose an old album that most closely resembles Cyclorama it would probably be Pieces . I think the visual stuff on this disc isn't worth much but the music is fun to listen to. A few songs may even have you singing along just like you did 25 years ago. [​IMG]