What's new

Stylus for the iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Sam, I missed your post from the other day. What kind of pics are you looking for?And I just saw that Wacom news! That's great news! Gosh darn it, I'm kinda bummed at the same time as I've grown more accustomed to the finer tip on the Jot. The Wacom stylus still uses the rubber tip. It looks like a nice package, the stylus comes in a case and what looks like extra rubber tips. When I draw on the big Wacom Cintiq, the 2048 levels of pressure sensitivity is a great thing! But I wonder if it will be as good on the iPad with this new stylus. I'm already hip deep now, I'll have to go the next mile and get that Wacom stylus and do a comparison! As far as taking notes and using the stylus for tablet use, I've never tried. I have tried writing with both styluses and its not as good as with a real pen or pencil. But I could try more. And for general tablet use, I had tapped a few icons and swiped the screen with them, but I tend to prefer to use my finger. I definitely use the stylus to tap on the tool icons in Sketchbook Pro.So, maybe a new iPhone in September and then this Wacom stylus in October!

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Cool cool, thanks for your continued thoughts. The pic request was for anything you'd care to share that you thought came out great using these tools on the iPad.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Here's a quick doodle with some text I tried with the Jot Touch 4 and used the pencil brush. you can see the pressure sensitivity affect the opacity as well as line weight. I like the pencil tool.

The stylus sketch uses a few other brushes I was experimenting with.

text sketch.jpg

Stylus_200.jpg

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Nelson, that's really neat!Sam, that Pencil stylus is interesting. It's the kind of thing I wish I could get for my niece. She had a Wacom tablet on her home PC before going to college. I'd think an iPad and art stylus would be a good combo for her art interests.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I need a rcommendation for a niece. She's high school student and budding digital artist. She's getting pretty good, and her parents are starting to think she should consider this as part of future professional path.She has a Wacom tablet connect to a dedicated PC...and prefers to draw on her Nintendo DS. We went for dinner tonight, and while the adults talked, she worked on her latest art on her DS. She prefers the direct interaction with the art, plus being able to work details on one screen while seeing the whole picture on the second screen. She complains that drawing on the Wacom but having to see the results on the PC monitor is a worse way to draw. So the question is what are options for digital tools? Touch sensitive stylus, iPad, and app? Windows Surface Pro and stylus (and could be a PC good for a couple years! and into college)?Thanks!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I saw that but not sure I understand it. Is it a touch-screen display, which you configure as a second monitor, position the ddrawing app on that screen,and draw on it?That could be appealing, but probably too expensive and cumbersome for a high school student (full laptop and additional cintiq).But I'll pass it along to show them the various options.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
You have to check out both the Wacom Cintiq Companion or Companion Hybrid.These are very cool, I've drawn on them when the Wacom rep brought them in for us to try out at work. I'm not joking when I say that I've seriously considered this. I have a Wacom Cintiq in my home studio now. So the Companion is a possibility. These are 13" units and fully portable, battery powered PC's. One runs Android so it only runs the mobile apps. The other is Windows 8, so if I hold my nose, it would run full versions of Photoshop and Sketchbook Pro. When I saw hold my nose, you know I mean I would have preferred Wacom got permission from Apple to do a Mac OS version, but we know that won't happen. So I'm willing to go this far because the experience is that good.If you want to go the iPad route, the new Wacom Intuos Creative Stylus is great! It's $99 and I liked it so much I bought two, one for home and one for on the go. I have been drawing and painting on my iPad more and more since I got one. The Wacom stylus is pressure sensitive and works via Bluetooth. I'm giving this a serious work out because I already have a Cintiq in my home studio and it seems a waste to get another one even though it's so portable. One of the really cool things I've discovered, and yet to try, is the Apple App Store version of Sketchbook Pro because that version has iCloud ability. I have the retail version, so it doesn't have that ability. What's cool is I can use the cloud to transfer files drawn on the iPad to the desktop Mac. Inclusive of the layers so it doesn't have to be flattened as a tiff or exported as a photoshop file. So I can keep working on the file on the full size Cintiq. The only down side is that Sketchbook Pro on the iPad doesn't have palm rejection. Once you get over that, it's a terrific tool. I highly recommend trying an iPad Air or iPad Mini with the Wacom Intuos Creative Stylus.Edit: I forgot to mention, other painting apps like ProCreate has palm rejection and supports the Wacom stylus. I plan to try that app. Here's a link to a user in the same profession as me with the Wacom Companion.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thought I'd add another piece of work done on the iPad too. This illustration was done for my holiday card this year. I used the Wacom Intuos Creative stylus on the iPad Air. The only thing not done on the iPad was the text and resizing the image.

So Dave, this is for your niece. I dumbed down the image so it's not full resolution.

SantaSleigh2013e1.jpg

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I have the glove.ly leather gloves. They're good leather gloves. Their touch ability is poor and sporadic my right-hand index finger seems to be completely dead, a month on. Contrary to Wurecutter, I find the seams often the easiest part to use. They claim to have a lifetime guarantee, so I need to follow up on replacements. Because as mediocre as they are, I love them. And when they work, it's fantastic.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
And Sam, the Adonit Touch with Pixelpoint technology which they co developed with Adobe is looking like a cool option too. I like that it's not tied to Adobe so you can use it on other apps with the benefits of the pressure sensitivity. Though I still really like the Wacom stylus for the iPad, I have to try these two new styluses. We are getting them at work to test.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I wish I had artistic talents so I could use the iPad to its fullest extent.
Maybe the Android Stylus guys were right?
Having owned a Galaxy Note 2 and 3 for the past 2+ years, I have been
deeply immersed in the stylus experience.

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Merriweather Sans', sans-serif;background-color:rgb(242,242,242);]So much so, as previously posted, I bought this stylus for my iPad 3.[/color]

Really, I love the Stylus experience. I know Steve Jobs was never keen
on it for Apple products, but I find using a pen on touch screens to be far
more gratifying than using my greasy fingers.

If I switch back to Apple when it announces it's 5.5" iPhone 6, I will
certainly not do it without purchasing a stylus for it. The only drawback
will be that there will be no internal housing for that stylus and I'll have to
find a means of carrying it around with me.

As far as the stylus that I mentioned above which I am using for my iPad 3...

It's holding up well after a year or so. However, the problem is that it's coating
is flaking. So, the black stylus is now speckled as the gold undercoating is now
showing through.

I will probably be looking for something much better when iPad Air 2 is released.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
You're pretty much the only person I know who likes em for anything but artistic input Ron. Not that there's anything wrong with that but I can't fathom em going mainstream. I think pens work great for detail work but I still think making one mandatory is a hard sell.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I think pens work great for detail work but I still think making one mandatory is a hard sell.
Mandatory, never. I think most consumers prefer using their greasy fingers.

However, I love the fact that the rest of us have a choice.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Is it hard to give up multi-touch controls for single-point stylus? I've got a stylus, but never use it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks