What's new

Stylus for the iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Since there was a discussion on another thread about styli for the iPad, I thought it might be good to have it's own thread.

When I heard you could draw on the iPhone 2 years ago, I picked up a Pogo Stylus at MacWorld in anticipation of the iPad 1. I didn't have an iPhone yet, but I wanted to be ready to start sketching on the iPad!

So here is a quick listing of the styli that I know of. So far I've used 2 on my iPad.

1. Pogo Sketch by 10 One Design. This is my first stylus. It has a metal body and spongy tip. It works well. But requires some effort to press hard enough to register. I use a Wacom Cintiq. That has a pressure sensitive stylus and a fine tip so you can sketch and draw accurately. The fat tip of this stylus made it hard to accurately repeat a line over it self. The sponginess of the tip made it hard to judge the position of the tip. But overall it works.

46244b29_pogo.png

I see their website, they've updated the design of the pocket clip and they offer other colors.

2. Griffin, or Targus. This is my second stylus and I like it alot! It has a rubber tip, also fat. But the consistant shape of the tip makes it far easier to judge it's location on the screen and repeat a line over itself. And you can start and end a line and continue the line and join it reasonably accurately where you left off. It was hard to do that with the Pogo. It also slides over the screen very easily, with much less pressure.

b99e1265_stylus_1.jpg

This stylus is branded as both Griffin and Targus. The Targus site shows it comes in other colors.

3. Styra by Boxwave. I've not tried this one yet. It was mentioned by another HTF member, Jason Roer. If this is the same one, it includes a ink pen on the the end. The tip for iPad use looks the same as the Griffin/Targus.

f830523b_capacitive_styra_main.jpg

There are other stylus out there. If there is interest to add to this thread, please let us digital skechers know!

Here's a sketch I did with the Targus on my iPad using Sketchbook Pro:
a688ec45_Sketch2011-03-1317_47_20.png

I'm going to try to experiment more with Sketchbook Pro and do more painting style illustrations at some point. This should be even more fun with the iPad 2 with it's thinner size. Maybe you guys can post your art too.
------------------------------------------
Edit: I forgot to add, Steve Jobs I believe has made comments that he didn't believe in the need for a stylus. Probably because he doesn't want to invite comparisons to the Newton. So the Pogo was available at the Apple Stores. But you had to ask for it. Not sure if that is still true, but I bet you can't buy the Targus or others at the Apple Store.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
TARGUS at amazon for $14.23
http://www.amazon.com/Targus-Stylus-iPhone-Tablet-AMM01US/dp/B003ZSHKIY/ref=lh_ni_t_

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My boxwave stylus looks identical to the Targus / Griffin styluses. It must be a generic product, rebranded by third-party resellers.

I've not noticed it requiring any appreciable pressure, but I'm using it for quick taps and short use in the car, wearing gloves, during winter weather. It's a cold-weather device for me, not an artist's brush :)

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor
Thanks guys. Given this information, I'm going to stick with the Targus and just get used to it. I'm sure it's more a matter of not being used to sketching on a touch screen, than a deficiency with the stylus. Of course, I'm also going to have to get used to the name, Targus. I keep wanting to call it the Tardis. But maybe that makes it way cooler? Dr. Who geeks unite!

Cheers,

Jason

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Of interest:
http://www.crunchgear.com/2011/04/18/wacom-outs-first-ipad-accessory-the-bamboo-stylus/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Sam. That's news. I use many Wacom tablets in my design work, but didn't see this coming!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Is it anything more than an overpriced Griffin stylus? Does have special pressure-sensitive innards that talk by Bluetooth to an iOS apps for Wacom drawing awesomeness?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
A compelling case for doing it wrong:
http://mike.elgan.com/post/6399659929/check-this-out-a-magic-marker-for-your-ipad

via
http://www.cultofmac.com/why-the-ipad-is-a-pen-based-tablet/100458

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I don't use a stylus except in the winter, since the iPhone doesn't respond to leather gloves. However: each of us has 15+ years training to write with a pencil-like object. We're trained at a young age to *not* write or draw with our finger tips. Finger painting is for babies. Watching those videos, when I try to imagine writing on the iPad without that stylus, it feels wrong. You're supposed to write with a object, not with your finger. I can see why people would be more comfortable taking notes, marking up paperwork, scribbling with a stylus. It's hard to overcome a lifetime's training.

However, playing Flight Control with a stylus is nonsense :)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks again Sam! For someone whose not a believer in using a stylus, you sure find some great info on them!

I've been meaning to get the Wacom stylus. prolost's review of it was very positive and I've really wanted to try it.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hope this Apple stylus rumor is true and coming soon:
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/07/07/apple_filings_reveal_heated_wireless_stylus_concepts_for_ipad_and_iphone.html

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Another new option:
http://www.cultofmac.com/116526/the-xstylus-touch-makes-every-other-ipad-stylus-look-like-a-cheap-bic/?utm_campaign=116526&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitter

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks