Stusio 20's vs. Mini Monitors as Surrounds

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter_Inf, Nov 7, 2002.

1. Peter_Inf

Peter_Inf Auditioning

Hello,
    Long time reader but first time poster. With the help of this forum I have put together the following system:
    Receiver: Denon 3300
    Mains[​IMG]aradigm Studio 60's
    Center: Studio CC
    Surrounds: Studio ADP
    Sub: PW2200
    DVD: Pioneer 525
    When I built my home theater I ran an extra set of speaker wire for the Denon's B set of Surround speakers. I am looking into replacing my DVD player with a Universal player for SACD and DVD-Audio (most likely a Pioneer 45a).
    I would like to buy a pair of direct radiating surround speakers to hook up to the B output on the Denon for use with SACD and DVD-Audio.
    The most logical choice would be to buy a pair of Studio 20 as they would "match" my all Studio setup. I believe these run about $650. I would have to buy stands (no idea of cost...$150???). This would bring the cost to approx. $800.
    This is a little to much right now and I was wondering if some of the other speakers from the Paradigm line might be OK.
    I was considering the Mini Monitor (approx. $350) and even the Atoms (

2. Duke

Duke Stunt Coordinator

I had a pair of 100's for the L&R, i had to sell them and moved my surround 20's to the front and bought a pair of atoms to replace them, I also have a the studio cc. It works fine. The only problem I see is if you have a big room, the atoms don't handle too much power.

3. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

When I upgraded my mains from Atoms to Monitor 5's, I initially moved the Atoms to the rear. It didn't sound bad, but there was too much of a difference between the front stage and the surrounds. I was using a cc-370 in the center, which matched the drivers in my mains. I picked up a demo pair of Mini's from my local dealer, and was pretty pleased with the difference. I still use the Mini's in the rear and the surround effects blend much better than they did with the Atoms. With that said, you run the studio line for your front stage, so maybe the Mini's in the back of your system will stick out like the Atoms did in mine. I would encourage you to check Ebay for a pair of studio 20's....you can find a great deal on them from time to time.

4. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Why not wait until you have the universal player and try it out w/ the current surround speakers. You might think it's fine. I think it's partially true and partially marketing to say that you *need* to have direct radiators for rears in music and *need* to have dipoles for movie surround.

5. Peter_Inf

Peter_Inf Auditioning

Thank you for the replies...

I think I will try waiting. Though it will be hard, just looking at those unused speaker wires just dangling there....

I will buy the universal player first, and see how I like the sound just using the ADP for music. This will also give me more time to save up for the Studio 20's if I still want them. But $600 is big bucks for surround speakers...

Anyone else have any experience mixing the different lines??

Thank you,
    Peter

6. Donald_Spry

Donald_Spry Stunt Coordinator

I have studios for my front stage and use atoms as my rears because of space concerns and price. I really like them back there, not distracting at all. They blend really well all the time. I like the sound and saved some bucks!

7. Bob Cal

Bob Cal Stunt Coordinator

I have Studio 60's up front and Mini Monitors in the rear and find them excellent. No doubt the 20's might be better but I cannot complain about the sound. To me the Mini's are a great sounding speaker, even when I had them as my front.

Bob

8. Mickey Brown

Mickey Brown Stunt Coordinator

I have Studio fronts/center and Atoms at the rear because they are the only speaker you can really mount on the wall besides the ADP's that arent too big.

The Studio 20 and Mini Monitors are just too big to really mount on the wall.

9. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Peter:

Good decision to wait IMO.

If you're anything like me, you will not be happy w/ mismatched speakers anywhere in the system. I exclude the sub, but it's cool that yours is also matching.

You should also consider that not all surround music is mixed in the same way. I work at a studio, and recently I saw some surround mixing for a music DVD. They had 3 monitors across the front, then 2 of the same monitors to the rear and behind the listening position, but they were on stands, the same distance to the engineer as the fronts.

This is kind of a "standard" way that surround music is mixed, but I'm sure other engineers do it different ways. The point I'm trying to make is that unless you can duplicate that environment in your room (you can't), then it kind of makes the difference between ADP and Studio/20's less of an issue.