What's new

Stupid "Y" splitter question... (1 Viewer)

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor
I bought a "Y" splitter to hook up two subs, but when I got home I realized it was a "stereo" splitter...male into the receiver with "Y" out being in stereo....left/right.

Will this make a difference or will it work fine?

TIA,

- Cam

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor
Scott, I didnt say it would make it stereo, I said it was
a stereo splitter...it goes from the single male input, to
the left/right female plugs.

I just wondered if it would
make any difference if I used this to hook up two subs as it is not an "actual" Y (ie:same signal to both outputs instead of one left & one right).

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
i would think it would work (provided it's kosher to split your sub out in that fashion), but since you're saying it's a "stereo (?) splitter", it seems it's made for something else besides the usual mono rca out on a receiver. the usual rca out on a receiver carries the (+)and(-) signal of a SINGLE channel and each single male rca plug that you connect has 2 wires connected to it. if that splitter does what you're describing, it's really made to split some sort of an "rca-like" jack that carries the (+)and(-) signal of BOTH CHANNELS (like a headphone jack), which means 4 wires total connected to the male rca end of your Y splitter. i've seen Y splitters that will split a single stereo headphone jack into 2 corresponding rca connects, but never one made for converting a "lone, stereo rca jack". (i'm trying to remember if i've ever encountered anything with a "lone, stereo rca jack. certainly it exists for something, i suppose.)

it's very possible, though, that it's just mislabeled or poorly labeled for the average, less discerning consumer, who wants to convert his mono jack into "stereo".

jeff peterson

Supporting Actor
If you're saying it's a "stereo" splitter just because one plug is red and one white, don't worry, the same signal is running through them both.

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
yeah, that was unclear to me, too. but i was under the impression that it must have been labelled as such on the packaging or on the splitter itself.

cam?

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
btw, is it "ok" to split your LFE channel like that?

do either of your subs have pre-outs, cam?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Real Name
Wayne
It’s fine to do that. You can expect some signal loss (i.e, reduction in its level) but you can easily make up for that with the sub’s gain control.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulmagruder
Recent bookmarks