What's new

Stupid Windows Media Center Questions - DVD playback on my TV? (1 Viewer)

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
This is probably a stupid question. I've got a home network setup with my PCs and Xbox 360. I can open Windows Media Center on the 360 and browse photos stored on my PC. Is it possible to put a DVD in the DVD drive of that PC and watch it on my TV through the 360/Media Center?

hodedofome

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Smith
Short answer NO:frowning:

360 doesn't support streaming .vob files (which is what is on the dvd). It may show up on the screen if you've installed/unlocked (can't remember which one) the My DVD's button in Media Center, but it won't play the movie. However, why would you want to do this? Just stick the dvd in the 360 drive and watch it there.

What I'm currently doing is ripping my dvd's to the hard drive using DVD Decrypter (choose the option to rip 1 large file instead of several small files). It will create 1 large .vob file. You simply change the name to .mpg instead of .vob and now Media Center/360 will play it. I installed My Movies plugin so I can browse all my dvd's with the cover art and play them all through the 360.

This won't allow you to play DTS audio unfortunately, as the 360 doesn't support streaming DTS, but all my Dolby dvd's work fine. Still working on getting the subtitles working on Jet Lee films though...

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

I was just curious if it was possible. Maybe I'll try DVD Decrypter. Thanks, Aaron.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks