1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Stupid weather-stripping question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ronnie Ferrell, Nov 8, 2002.

1. Ronnie Ferrell

Ronnie Ferrell Second Unit

This is probably a stupid question and it probably does not make a difference. But I was wondering what size weather-stripping most of you use for sealing up your subs. Also do you put it on the back side of the driver basket, or do you put it on the front of the enclosure?

Thanks!

Ronnie

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I put it on the enclosure (in case you need to return the driver, I doubt if the manufacturer would like the gunky stuff on the driver rim). If you recess the driver, you can put the weather stripping inside the recess perimeter.

Most people will suggest closed cell foam weather stripping. I've gotten by with open cell foam (highly compressible) weather stripping for some of my projects.

3. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

I put it on the driver basket. There shouldn't be any problem getting the gunk off the driver with a little Goo Gone or something like that. Peanut butter works well in a pinch! [​IMG]

4. Ronnie Ferrell

Do you apply it, be it to the basket or the enclosure so that some of the tape laps over the cut-out lip and actually tucks into the cut-out or is it attached only to the outer flat surface of the enclosure or basket?
    (yes, before you ask, I always make mountains out of mole hills... [​IMG])
    rf

5. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Ronnie,

I just apply it to the flat part of the flange.

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

7. Ronnie Ferrell

Thanks for the info! After more reading, I really want to try the 1/4" rope caulk. But I am afraid I could not get my driver back out after installing it since I flush mounted it. I guess I could pull the plate amp and then reach into the cabinet and push the driver out. Would this be possible, or does the rope caulk REALLY hold?

Ronnie

8. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

You might need to use a flat head screwdriver to pry the driver out/off.

9. Ronnie Ferrell

Yeah that is why I am worried about using the rope caulk. The driver is flush mounted with a 3/4" deep rebate and there is no way to pry under the driver. I could only put pressure on the driver from pushing from within the enclosure by reaching through the amp cut-out.

I will stick with weather stripping!

rf

10. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

When I built my dual SV12 subs I flush mounted the drivers and used the small pieces of foam that were made to fit on the back of the driver frame. I can't get the drivers out now. I actually took out all 8 screws and cranked up some bass heavy music and the driver just pounded away! Of course, I painted the cabinets but I let them dry for several weeks before installing the drivers. And since there are no amps to remove from the cabinets there's no way to get to the back of the drivers to push them out. I may eventually get some angled needle nose pliers and see if I can pull it loose from the mounting holes.