Stupid theif tricks, or Don't sell those stolen Moon Rocks on Net

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MichaelG, Jul 23, 2002.

1. MichaelG

MichaelG Second Unit

I read this article in the Houston Chronicle today about these 4 fools that after stealing a 600 lb safe from NASA containing moon rocks and martian meteorite samples they attempted to sell them on the internet. The article stated that they had placed posts and/or sent emails of some sort on a to a Mineralogy Club in Belgium with the tag "Priceless Moon Rocks Now Available" (quoted from teh Houston Chronicle). Now when I read this I was thinking of how stupid this sounded to me that not only did they advertise this information on the internet, but did so at least a month before they actualy stole the stuff. To me this is one stupid crime.

What other stupid crimes have you seen or read about? I thought I remember hearing about someting called the Darwin Awards some time back, given to the stupidest attempted crimes. Well, this may not make that finals list, but I think I put more thought into making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich then these fools did hatching this scheme.

2. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

I read that story too! I mean, come on here. Are genuine "moon rocks" not a hot comodity? How can you advertise something like this and have people not be suspicious or their origins?
    This isn't a crime but I read a story about an 11 year old who had some trouble operating a scanner and got her lip stuck in it. [​IMG] Kids will be kids, I suppose.
    http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_634301.html

3. MichaelG

MichaelG Second Unit

I am surprised a few adult friends of mine haven't done the same thing. [​IMG]

4. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

isn't it illegal for citizens to even own a moonrock?

5. Jonathan Smith

Jonathan Smith Stunt Coordinator

Did you see the headlines on Leno last night? Some guy's friend was in jail, and his buddy didn't have enough cash to post bail. So, his friend brought some of his illegal drugs in as collateral to try to get the guy out.

Not too many days pass by where I don't lose faith in the human race...

6. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

I was watching one of those "reality" shows and they had one clip on that was pretty funny. It was video feed from a bank surveillance system. The camera was trained on the front doors. This guy comes up to the bank doors and before entering puts on his "work" gear (a stocking mask), while the camera records it. He then proceeds to try to open the bank doors by pushing on them. He sits there for a couple of minutes pushing on the doors, while wearing this stocking mask. Thinking the bank is closed, he gives up and leaves. Shortly after that a bank employee inside the bank walks up to the door and pushes it open so that he can see if the guy is gone.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Another video surveillance tape I saw had a guy walk in and attempt to knock over a corner store.
    Crook: Give me the money
    Clerk: What?
    Crook: Give me all the money in the register.
    Clerk: I can't
    Crook: Why not?
    Clerk: The cash register is locked and I can't get into it
    Crook stands around stunned, wondering what to do next. While all this is taking place there is a kid about eight years old standing right beside the stick up man, checking out the candy rack. While the above conversation is going on, the kid picks up some kind of candy off the rack and hands it to the clerk.
    Kid: How much?
    Clerk: Fifty cents
    Kid hands him a dollar or something.
    Clerk, who had just told this crook a minute before that the cash register was locked and unable to be opened, goes to same register....CHING ching.....opens register and proceeds to give kid his change while Al DIPone looks on.
    "Mr. wannabe" doesn't quite know what to do with this turn of events, so he turns around and splits. At the end of this thing you suddenly hear a voice off camera.
    Off camera: What was that all about?
    On camera clerk: I don't know.
    Off camera: Think we should call the cops?
    Clerk (walks over to door, pushes it open): I don't know....maybe"
    End of tape.
    It's still a toss-up who I would consider dumber, the clerks or "Mr. Wannabe". [​IMG]

7. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Haha, go to Darwin Awards and check out some of the stupid things poeple have done to get these awards, some are just insane.

8. Eve T

Eve T Supporting Actor

Not to very long ago there was an incident on a car enthusist message board where this one member had his car stolen, if memory serves me it went something like this:

Another member starts asking this one member about his car, such as VIN number and where does he usually park his car at work etc. etc. The other member of the board has met this guy so didn't think too much about it because when he asked about why he wanted his VIN number the one guy said he was messing around on carfax and needed some practice vins etc. (I myself would have said he's crazy and I'm not giving my VIN to anyone) but alas the member told him because they had met in person several times and he trusted him at his word.
    A week or two later the guys car is stolen and he and his friends get the sneaking suspicion that the guy who was asking for his VIN might be involved.
    Suspicions were later confimned when the thief started posting car parts for sale on the parts for sale section of the same message board. (Car parts that looked exactly like the ones that were taken from the stolen vehicle) Still with not enough proof for the police to investigate the one guys friend went to the suspected thiefs house and there out in his yard was his friends car under a tarp. He took pictures of the car and phoned the police who arrived later that same day and arrested the crook when he got home.

I'd say that rates right up there with the moon rock incident. Steal a car from a fellow message board member and then start parting it out on the same board not even a week or so after it was stolen...

9. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

On the hold-up front:
    My friend Marty was a long time after-hours Kinkos emplyee. One night some guy comes in to rob the place. I saw the security tape, it went something like this:
    Guy comes in, stands around nervously for a few minutes in the copier area. [Marty notices but doesn't think much as a 24 hour copy center often attracts some odd late night folks passing through].
    Finally the guy approaches the counter, tells Marty he has a Gun and that he wants all the money in the register. Now Marty is a 35 year old lifetime Kinkos employee. He's as deadpan as a human can be without being dead- a co-worker once said that trying to reprimand Marty was "like trying to beat up smoke". Marty looks the guy dead in the face and says "Nope."
    The guy get flustered and asks Marty why not, to which Marty explains that he recently began uploading the data from the registers to the home office, and so the computer system was off line for about 15-20 minutes while it sent the data.
    Marty looks at the guy and says "I guess you're just going to have to shoot it" [note on the tape it sounds like he says "I guess you're just going to have to shoot me," but Marty swears he meant the register].
    The guy lets out a loud, frystrated (and toddler-like) sigh and goes up around to the back of the store where the bathrooms are... and returns like 5 minutes later [Marty has called the cops in the meantime]- and he starts apologizing about how he was only kidding and that some guy outside gave him $5 to scare Marty.
    Guy leaves, and you can see out the window as the cops arrive and put the gun [hard] into the pavement.
    2 months later, after about 15 years working at Kinkos, Marty quit and took a job as a mid level executive at a steel plant.
    [​IMG]
    Vince

10. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

François Caron
    Here's an interesting story that hit very close to home which involved an Ottawa area bank robber who was finally arrested after successfully robbing thirteen banks in the Ottawa-Gatineau area.
    To better appreciate the story, it's important to know that Ottawa (the capital of Canada) is located in the province of Ontario while Gatineau is located just across the river in the province of Quebec. For all practical purposes, both cities are often seen as a single unit similar to Minneapolis and St-Paul with the added incentive that most of the inhabitants are fluent in both French and English because of the demographics.
    So what did this guy do? He'd write his robbery note in either French or English depending on where he was robbing the bank. If the bank was located on the Quebec side of the Ottawa river, the note would be in French. On the Ontario side, the note would be in English.
    As a consequence of his notes, he was known as The Bilingual Bandit.
    Now here's the clincher! This bank robber is my EX-brother-in-law! And it's not like he was difficult to uncover. Both his ex-wife and ex-girlfriend recognized him from a security camera image published in the Ottawa Sun paper and notified the police immediately. Yet, despite being well known, this didn't stop our bank robber from robbing a few banks he previously hit, one of them three times since the start of his crime spree!
    He was finally captured when two members of the Gatineau police were in Ottawa for some administrative work where on a hunch they decided to drop by a homeless shelter where they recognized him in the line-up. The police confronted him, and he offered no resistance. The officers held the man until the Ottawa police showed up to take him into custody.
    And how is the immediate family reacting to this? For starters, we're having trouble not laughing out loud at the whole predicament. The man is not the violent type even during the crime spree (no violent incidents occured during the robberies and no one could confirm he actually had a weapon), so we weren't really worried about him targeting any family menbers. However, we were a bit worried for the police forces who had so much trouble capturing the guy even after his identity became common knowledge. Even worse, we were worried for the bank employees who saw him so often they were almost ready to call him by his first name!
    I see a movie-of-the-week here... [​IMG]

11. Brad_V

Brad_V Second Unit

That car vin # story further up, the car was someone's from probetalk.com . Both guys were regulars on there.

Ebay was mentioned at the beginning. I know a guy whose friend was selling someone's soul on there. The bidding got up to like $2500 before ebay canceled it. The same guy also tried selling the metric system on there.

12. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

In my town, somebody robbed a bank and got away on a bicycle. Actually he only rode the bike back to his van, then he put the bike in the van and drove off. Nevertheless the police didn't catch him. He became known as the Bicycle Bandit.

The police had no clues and probably wouldn't have been able to solve the case. Until one night when the robber went to the local comedy club. The club had "open mic" where anybody could go on stage and try to be funny, and the robber got up there and said "I'm the Bicycle Bandit".

I think the story was dramatized on Unsolved Mysteries or America's Most Wanted or some other show.

Anyway, a lot of these stories are funny but are not true Darwin Awards. The rules for Darwin Awards state that in order to win a Darwin Award the person must remove himself/herself from the gene pool. Death is the usual form of removal but castration also meets the criteria.

13. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Hey Eve "pink eye" T [​IMG] I read the same thing from a link on an MR2 website, it was an RX-7 board and the funny thing was it had pictures of the stuff for sale that the theif took to post it online and in the background of one of those pictures, it was a box with the original owner's name clearly on it!!
    It was a long story but a pretty funny read.
    Jay

14. Chet_F

Chet_F Supporting Actor

Here's one for you. A friend of mine told me this story:
    His brother apparently tried to rob a bank. His get away car: the taxi. He attempted to rob a bank thru a drive-up teller while riding in a taxi. [​IMG]

15. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

My favorite was the one with the guys who tried to steal an ATM.

They pulled up - drunk - in their pickup truck. Hooked one end of a chain to the front of the ATM, and the other end to their bumper, all with cameras rolling. Got in the truck, floored it, and ripped the bumper off the back of their truck.

So they freaked out and drove away. With the bumper still attached to the ATM. With their license plate still attached to the bumper.

Not too bright, those two..

16. Joe_C

Joe_C Supporting Actor

17. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

18. Joe_C

Joe_C Supporting Actor

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Leila, thank you for that link. Reading over the ass kicking thread, I've come to the conclusion that it's funnier than I remember.
    Here's my all-time favorite line:

19. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    The sad thing is, one or two of the moon rock theives were NASA interns. You talk about a quick way to end a career path.

20. MichaelG

MichaelG Second Unit

Two were interns, another was a co-op. There was a picture in todays paper of the guy who was said to be the ring-leader of the group, and apparently he had some dream to go to outer space with a Back Street Boy (j/k). He did want to go to outper space though, maybe he planned on using the money from the Moon Rocks to pay the Russian Space team like that Back Street Boy guy is doing.
    Next we will see an eBay auction for
    ***Rare*** Mona Lisa painting, ORIGINAL. Will be available shortly after it's next exibition in Austria, bidding starts now!
    [​IMG]