What's new

Stupid Subwoofer Wiring Question (1 Viewer)

Bill Mullin

Stunt Coordinator
My subwoofer is on order, but I thought it would be smart to do a little homework first: I keep reading posts where people are using Y-adapters to wire their receivers to their subwoofers. I have a L & R sub output on my receiver and L & R line inputs on my sub. I could run wire between the receiver and the sub and my guess is that this would work. If I ran two wires, wouldn't this simply give me 3 dB gain? If so, is this the smart way to wire the sub? Additionally, I don't need a Y-adapter with my setup, right?

One more thing - I've read that Monster is now selling THX certified sub cables, a single 16' cable for $79.95. I've seen the same cables on eBay for under $20. Would this cable be a smart purchase?

TIA, Bill

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
If your receiver has L&R sub out then a L&R audio cable hookup will go directly to your sub and give you a 6dB gain over using only the L or R. You do nt need a Y cable in your setup as that is more for people like me whos receivers have a single sub out (in my case I have 2 sub outs for two subs). Then you need a single male RCA that splits to two RCA males at the other end. In this cae, you can also wire a single RCA cable from the sub out to either the sub's L or R but the sub will be 6dB quieter.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Bill,

It sounds like you are set. You can use a simple 2 channel RCA cable to connect both outputs on your receiver to both inputs on your sub. I cannot imagine any reason to have a THX certified subwoofer cable. Any good quality shielded cable will work fine.

Brian

Bill Mullin

Stunt Coordinator
I cannot imagine any reason to have a THX certified subwoofer cable. Any good quality shielded cable will work fine.
What I have now is a cheap Rat Shack cable, but I do use a 12' cable where 6' would be enough. The excess is wound into a 4" coil, thereby providing some RFI/EMI protection. But, the new subwoofer that I've ordered is an HGS-12, Series II. Because of the higher demands of this unit, I though a better cable (pair of cables) might be a good idea. What's more I seem to read LOTS of posts where HT people are recommending premium cables. Are these people actually going overboard or are the better cables a smart purchase?
Thanks, Bill

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
The Rat Shack cable should be more than enough. We're only talking subwoofer frequencies here. I think premium cables are overboard for sub duties. But to each his own.

Brian

Bill Mullin

Stunt Coordinator
To clarify, this will only increase the level of the incoming signal that the sub’s amp sees. It will not affect the sub’s maximum output.
I understand this, but is 6 dB right? What little I know about electronics tells me that all other things being equal, it should be 3 dB when 2 sub outputs from the amp are hooked up to 2 inputs on the sub. So I just set up my Rat Shack audio meter and tested with 1 and 2 cables, and even the meter seems to agree with me. Where did that extra gain come from?

- Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks