Stupid Subwoofer Wiring Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Mullin, Oct 23, 2002.

1. Bill Mullin

Bill Mullin Stunt Coordinator

My subwoofer is on order, but I thought it would be smart to do a little homework first: I keep reading posts where people are using Y-adapters to wire their receivers to their subwoofers. I have a L & R sub output on my receiver and L & R line inputs on my sub. I could run wire between the receiver and the sub and my guess is that this would work. If I ran two wires, wouldn't this simply give me 3 dB gain? If so, is this the smart way to wire the sub? Additionally, I don't need a Y-adapter with my setup, right?

One more thing - I've read that Monster is now selling THX certified sub cables, a single 16' cable for $79.95. I've seen the same cables on eBay for under $20. Would this cable be a smart purchase?

TIA, Bill

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    If your receiver has L&R sub out then a L&R audio cable hookup will go directly to your sub and give you a 6dB gain over using only the L or R. You do nt need a Y cable in your setup as that is more for people like me whos receivers have a single sub out (in my case I have 2 sub outs for two subs). Then you need a single male RCA that splits to two RCA males at the other end. In this cae, you can also wire a single RCA cable from the sub out to either the sub's L or R but the sub will be 6dB quieter.

3. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Bill,

It sounds like you are set. You can use a simple 2 channel RCA cable to connect both outputs on your receiver to both inputs on your sub. I cannot imagine any reason to have a THX certified subwoofer cable. Any good quality shielded cable will work fine.

Brian

4. Bill Mullin

5. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

The Rat Shack cable should be more than enough. We're only talking subwoofer frequencies here. I think premium cables are overboard for sub duties. But to each his own.

Brian

6. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne

7. Bill Mullin