Stupid Receiver Question...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave_Mu, Dec 15, 2002.

1. Dave_Mu

Dave_Mu Extra

Does every A/V reciever use the sub when you are listening to 2 channel music?

If not, which ones DO?

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    As far as I know, all (or at least most) receivers sold in recent years do use the sub with two-channel.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

Some recievers put nothing or next to nothing into the LFE jack with a 2 channel source and main speakers set to "large".

4. Dave_Mu

Dave_Mu Extra

But as long as the mains are set to small the low end will go to the sub?

5. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    Dave:

probably yes. unless you "defeat" bass management by using "source direct" (the Marantz term) or some other similarly-named function.

6. DavidQc

DavidQc Stunt Coordinator

hey Dave,
    yes, the sub works with two channel music.
    how are you liking the VSX-D811S?
    i'm loving it!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Dave_Mu

Dave_Mu Extra

DavidQC, glad you are enjoying it!
    I'm having trouble pulling the trigger. Everytime I go to look/listen/buy I get more confused.
    My son and I went shopping last week, we REALLY liked the
    Panasonic PT-47WX52 47" Widescreen TVs and found a good price locally. Now I've got to get the wife up there to look/approve that purchase.
    I'm blowing my budget all to heck on the TV, but the Samsung 32" just wasn't "big" enough for me. Dang TV is as much as I planned on the whole setup... I think I've got the HT bug [​IMG]

8. Dave_Mu

Dave_Mu Extra

And the 53" PT-53WX52 is 6" MORE TV and it's only a couple hundred more... I could quit eating lunch for a couple of weeks...

9. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

10. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

11. John Garcia

John
    Agreed, which is why I put this:

12. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Although, to clarify, MOST, if not all recievers label the output "Sub out" or some such variation, NOT LFE out, for this exact reason. You can set it so only the LFE goes out the sub-out, but the vast majority of the time, the bass management is sending bass from the speakers there too, thus the "sub out" label. I don't know of any receivers or pre/pros that say LFE, though I'm sure there is some bizarre exception out there as always. [​IMG]

13. Colin Dunn

Colin Dunn Supporting Actor

Colin Dunn
    Some receivers/processors will allow you to use the sub with two-channel music, and some will not. The only way to know for a specific processor is to read the manual, or test it.

Some high-dollar processors INTENTIONALLY SHUT OFF the sub in stereo music mode, for dogmatic reasons: "No subwoofer can produce the clean/tight bass of a good pair of main speakers. It can only muddy up the sound, so turn it off when listening in stereo."

I personally do not subscribe to this belief (unless you're talking about a $99 Rat Shack sub paired with $10K main speakers - not bloody likely), and think that a sub can be a great enhancement for 2-channel music as well as 5.1 surround.

Things to look for:
    - Can you set your crossover points for front/center/rear separately?
    - What choices do you have? Just "large" and "small," or various frequencies?
    - Are there settings to explicitly turn the sub on for music sources, or to run bass to both the main speakers and subwoofer?

Even if a receiver or processor lacks flexibility in bass management, you may have a couple of work-arounds.
    - The Outlaw Audio ICBM, which gives you independent frequency selections for all channels and the sub.
    - Set LFE to mix with the mains, and set the mains to 'large,' and then use a line-level crossover in the sub. If you do this, the sub must have stereo audio inputs and outputs, and preferably should have a variable-frequency crossover.

14. John Garcia

John
    Some receivers & pre/pros also offer different settings for music vs movies and/or "preferences". Marantz offers source direct which overrides bass management settings, setting all speakers to large. This way, my normal setup can be all speakers set to small and sub=yes, but for music, I can switch to a large setting. By doing this, my sub is taken out of the loop for 2ch, since there is no LFE track and no bass is redirected, because the mains are now set to large. In this mode, whatever channel information is present, is what you hear. If I play multichannel music (DTS CDs, SACD, etc...) in which there is a ".1" channel, then the sub does it's part.