What's new

Stupid questions...but need an answer!!! (1 Viewer)

Troy*H

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, I have heard that xbox games will be able to be viewed in 720p. Any truth? If so what type of tv is needed to view the games in 720p. I thought it was direct view or dlp. Am I correct? Rear projection won't do this? Thanks for the info!

Troy

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Very few TV's of any kind can accept 720p, but of the ones that do, DLP's and LCD's, whether front or rear projection, are the most likely.

This is because at today's prices, LCD and DLP display elements are more likely to be of the 720p (or 768p) variety (or 480p).

CRT technology, as computer monitors, have been doing close to 720p (768p) for a long time. The only reason I can think of why 720p CRT TV's are not common is because there is so little 720p programming available.

Video hints
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Well the game has to include the graphics for 720p. Read the back of the game box's to see. They all support 480p.

Troy*H

Stunt Coordinator
Direct view doesn't do this??? I thought someone said his Sony Hd could display 480p.720p, 1080i. Thought he said main reason he bought the Tv was because of the 720p support with his xbox. Am I right in thinking all hd tv's will playback 720p and 1080i games? Just don't want to buy something that is not what I am looking for.

Thanks for the help
Troy

Troy*H

Stunt Coordinator
next stupid question then.... I know this has been covered before, but I tried a search and couldn't find anything. So here goes. If I play a lot of video games....should I stay clear of rear projection(I have decided that I do not want a front projection unit, and dlp units are way above my price limit of 2 grand). So I am at the point of getting a 36" direct view(most likely a Sony KV-36HS510) or a rear projection unit(not sure on the brand or model...maybe a mitsu).

So if most any HD units will play my xbox games at 720p, do I go with the smaller direct view sony or get a larger rear projection unit. Thanks for the opinions.

Troy

Ottis Fletcher

Stunt Coordinator
Most TV's won't play your Xbox games at 720p they will accept the signal and convert it.

I all so play a fair amount of games I bought a Sony KP-46WT500 rear projection. Phosphor burn can occur no matter what but if you take the proper precausions then you can greatly reduce the risk. The two big ones are 1) Don't play games with static images for the first 100 hours of use. 2) Use Avia to calibrate your picture and use those settings to play games with static images.

This person I know calibrated his set and played ungodly number of hours playing GTA 3 and Vice City with no sign of burn in what so ever.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Just about all HDTV's accept 720p
Nope. Mitsubishi for one does not even accept 720p in the majority of their models. I had 3 different salespeople tell me it would, but one store had a catalog. I challenged the saleswoman to show me the specs. 480p, 1080i is all it said:

Diamond Series: 480p, 1080i
Platinum/Platinum Plus: 480p, 1080i
Gold: 480p, 1080i

And I cannot find this info on the Pioneer web site as they list video capabilities in terms of scanning frequency (and I dont remember what frequency 720p uses :frowning: )

Ottis Fletcher

Stunt Coordinator
That's unbelievable that a top manufacture will not include it's set to accept 720p, I know it's not the popular HD signal but it's what ABC uses. Do you know what happens when a 720p source comes in on a Mitsubishi?

Troy*H

Stunt Coordinator
But the direct view I was looking at (Sony KV-36HS510) does play 720p doesn't it? That is too bad about the mitsu I was really considering getting one of those. What about Hitachi rear views?

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
What about Hitachi rear views
Doing a little digging:

Hitachi 65XWX20B (XWX Directors Series): 2 HD inputs: (1080i, 720p, 540p, 480i)
(SWX Series): same
(TWX Series): Same
(F500 Series): Same (perhaps only 1 HD input)
(GWX Series): Same (perhaps only 1 HD input)

Troy*H

Stunt Coordinator
Just posting what is says on Sony's web site about the tv.

"Hi-Scan 1080i Display. Sony's Hi-Scan1080i Tv's accept the full 1080 interlaced scanning lines (1080i) or 720 progressive scan (720p) from an external HDTV receiver or a compatible high definition digital satellite receiver. It also accepts 480 progressive (480p) scanning lines from compatible DVD video sources."

Second stupid question... to get hd out of my xbox. Do I need to purchase the hd av pack or can I just get the component moster calbes?

Thanks again for the help, bare with me I am learning :)

Troy

Scott Dautel

Second Unit

Ottis Fletcher

Stunt Coordinator
to get hd out of my xbox. Do I need to purchase the hd av pack or can I just get the component moster calbes?
Yes. I bought the Microsoft cables and they are pretty cheap they were good for a few months and then they started to degrade slightly in quality. I now use the Microsoft HD pack with Acoustic Research cables. You might all so just want to spend the extra cash on the Monster Cables.

Another thing is, I and most others prefer a widesreen TV. A lot of games are widescreen right now, more and more are going to be made in widescreen. So if your going to spend that much on a TV you probably won't want to buy another in a year or two so you should get widescreen now.

Troy*H

Stunt Coordinator
Yah I wish I could afford a samsung dlp. It is about a grand more than I have. Should I just wait till I have to money or go with the sony.

Can anyone tell me if the sony will play a 720p game?

Thanks again

Troy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks