What's new

Stupid questions about PS2 and widescreen TV's (1 Viewer)

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
PS2 games that support 16:9, are these supposed to be anamorphic? I have a Widescreen TV, and the PS2 is set to 16:9 in the menu. Anamorphic encoded movie discs are anamorphic, but the games aren't. I noticed the standard cable seems to miss a few "teeth" in the scart connector though.

I used to have a PS1, and for this console I did buy an alternate scart connector cable with all "teeth", including two audio jacks and a gun-con connection jack. Can I use this cable with the PS2 do you think? If I do this, will PS2 games be anamorphic? If they are supposed to be, that is. I have always been wondering why some games are marked as 16:9 compatible in the Official 480p, 16:9 game survey thread, but still they are displayed 4:3 on my WS TV, but always felt to silly to ask. But by now you guys propably know I am pretty silly anyway...

Also, I have noticed some strange things in the display, it seemed like greyish shapes seemed to slowly flash by in the background. But just today, I realized images from television broadcast "shines through" when I am really playing games. How do I avoid this? Simply unplugging the RF antennae jack only makes the static shine through, so that is propably not a solution.

My last question for now: For my PS1 I bought a gun-con, but after buying a widescreen 100hz TV, I can no longer use it. Does anybody know if a 100hz compatible gun-con exist for PS2, or if there will be one?

Thanks in advance!

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
The 16:9 setting in the system menu applies only to movies, as far as I know. At least in the 16:9 PS2 games I have, you have to manually select a 16:9 option within the game's options. This setting is independant of the cables used, so you can get the 16:9 setting with any cable available.

-Dave

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Yikes - I just realized that only 2 of my PS2 games have widescreen options. :frowning: (SSX & GTA3)
-Dave

Users who are viewing this thread