What's new

Stupid question time, again: What's the difference between LAN & Ethernet LAN? (1 Viewer)

AllenD

Second Unit
As some of you know I'm building a SOHO PC for the "out-laws" on a budget. With that in mind I want to make sure I choose the right hardware to prevent any extra spending in the future.

I just remembered they were interested in a high speed internet connection, and it's the first I've had to consider such a connection for a build. Cable modem is their only option at this time. I'm looking at several motherboards and I've seen a few discriptions for an integrated LAN: LAN and Ethernet LAN. Are these the same? Is this just a nomenclature issue between manufacturers? Lastly, is my assumption that a PC with LAN can communicate with a DSL/Cable Modem for high speed connection? :b

Many, many thanks!

Allen

Tom Lowden

Agent
Yes, they are the same thing. Also, a PC with a LAN card should be able to communicate with a DSL/Cable modem just fine (assuming the LAN card in the PC is an ethernet card)

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
In the interests of clarity:

LAN = Local Area Network, ie a way to connect the machines

Ethernet = a standard you use for the LAN to transmit and receive the data. There have been others (still are) like Token Ring and others but Ethernet is very much the norm these days.

On top of the Ethernet you then run yet another layer, which would be TCP/IP (transmission control protocol/internet protocol, since we're explaining acronyms). There are others here too you can use instead (though not on the Internet) like IPX and others.

AllenD

Second Unit
Thanks, Jeff, Tom, and Kimmo. That clears up a lot of things for me, including staying in my budget. :emoji_thumbsup: I'm glad I can rely on your expertise and not get flamed for dumb ass questions like that.
Have a nice day!

Users who are viewing this thread