What's new

Stupid Question, kinda "corn"y (1 Viewer)

Alex-C

Screenwriter
Question: why is it I cannot find yellow corn anymore ?

All the fresh corn in all the supermarkets in our region (nor cal) is white corn.

Apparently for some, there is a difference. I am asking for someone else. Frankly I couldnt care less, but what is weird is the predominance of yellow corn when found in the can, but the fresh corn is and has been for some time, predominantly white.

Corbin Stirn

Second Unit
The white corn you've been finding is called "sweet" corn. White corn is a little bit sweeter in taste than yellow......though to me any corn tastes yummy. If you look around and/or depending on your area, you'll also find "bicolor" corn as well..........a mix of both white and yellow kernels. Not sure what area of the country you live in, but there is a LOT of corn grown here in my section of NW Ohio/SE Michingan. You can find all 3 at roadside markets and/or sheds....but mostly you'll find the white and/or bicolor for sale at places like that. Hope this helps......

mylan

Screenwriter
White corn grown fresh is called "silver queen" and is said to be better, or sweeter to eat. In my neck of the woods, in northern Georgia, it is preferred. I wouldn't quibble if thats all you can find, it is a delicacy.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
On the cob, I prefer the white corn. But bi-color is not bad. I'll eat the all yellow on the cob, but that would be my last choice.

I think the white seems to be a little more crisp and flavorful.

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
50% on topic. : )

I love corn & when not in season I would buy canned corn.

Every time I ate at my mothers I always noticed how much better her corn tasted. Crisper & more "fresh" tasting.

So I ask her & turns out she uses frozen corn, not canned.

This may be common knowledge, but I didn't know : )

Back too 100% on topic:

I've never seen totally white corn-on-the-cob.
We usually have the bi-color variety here in IN.

Alex-C

Screenwriter
OK.
My parents, who are 70+, somtimes ask "where has all the yellow corn gone" and it falls in this recurring category from them, as in, things from their past have either been done away with or for whatever reason, do not exist anymore.
One time, my dad got into an argument with a circuit city salesman when he asked the guy if a particular stereo was "solid state" or not. My dad being a former electronics guy, from the Jurassic period, still thought this was something that needed to be ascertained prior to purchase.
Well, as many of you may know, solid state came about when we moved on from vacuum tubes in electronics, basically meaning there are no mechanical moving parts (hence "solid").
so you can imagine the blank look on 20 yr old Johnny Best Buy, when my dad started his lecture on electronics design, circa 1961, regarding a stereo built today.
Anyway, the yellow corn/white corn thing is one of those.
another good one is when he wants to get his VCR fixed. Most people these days, with today's consumer mindset, throw it away and buy a new one, which of course, you would never do in 1961. You fix it !
haha!

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
I have friends who are from Nebraska - corn country - and I laughed my ass off during one of their family get togethers when two of the brothers were discussing various "species" of corn, and which one tasted better.

I have since learned a lesson!

I have tried a number of varieties, all of them yellow, and the two sweetest that I have found were Candy Corn and Bodacious. Candy Corn was really super sweet, but Bodacious had more "depth" in its taste, if that means anything.

Now, of course, I get real fussy when eating corn, because I have been spoiled by these damned cornhuskers and their Bodacious corn!

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Here in New England, we get nothing but yellow corn and what we call "Butter and Sugar" or bicolor corn, at least from the local farms. I guess it all depends on what variety the growers decide to plant.

MMMM, nothing beats fresh corn right from the fields of Penniman Hill Farm in Hingham, MA. Sometimes there's a line waiting for the wagon to come in from the field. So fresh, the sun is still shining on it when it hits the bin. Been getting it there for 30+ years and never had better corn.

Joey Skinner

Second Unit
How do you prepare corn on the cob? My favorite way is to throw it in the microwave in the shuck for about 4 minutes per ear. Then I just shuck it and eat it with no salt or butter.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis

Canned corn is IMHO awful. The better brands of frozen corn can be quite good when steamed in a stove-top steamer right out of the freezer. This guy is really your friend for vegetables:

Around Boise there are miles and miles of corn fields. We find all three kinds - yellow, white, and mixed - at roadside stands and in the stores.

I understand that the Europeans view corn (what they call maize, "corn" being Brit English for what we call "wheat") as merely animal fodder, and eating corn on the cob as proof of American backwardness.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S

Frozen is the best way to get vegetables out of season, canning destroys the nutrients in the food (that's why it doesn't taste as good) freezing preserves most of the nutrients.

John_Kiger

Agent
Joey: Corn on the cob: Shuck it completely, silk it, and throw it into a big kettle of boiling water for 5-6 minutes. No longer, or it'll be tougher than a boiled owl.
--Iowa farmboy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks