Stupid question from a stupid guy!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Khoa Tran, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Khoa Tran

Khoa Tran Supporting Actor

yeah so i'm sitting here and i'm looking at some madrigal products and i run across the cd player.....i've seen this numerous of times but i never thought twice but i've been wondering why do they call it a "transport" instead of a player? i mean is it something else or is it just the audiophile way of saying it? i really don't know ....thanks guys i'm just curious

2. Jagan Seshadri

Jagan Seshadri Supporting Actor

I suppose it does not have analog outputs, only digital?
    That would make it a transport.

-JNS

3. Mat_M

Mat_M Stunt Coordinator

I'm curious about this too. Maybe the experts can chime in here...

4. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

My general take is that if it lacks analog outs then it
    doesn't have to have a D/A Converter internaly and then
    it is merely a "Transport" since a seperate DAC is req'd
    for it to function.

If it contains an internal DAC and Analog Outs then it is
    a CD-P (CD Player).

But to be super technical a "Transport" is a mechanical
    device that serves to move something. And every CD Player
    be it DAC or DAC less has a "Transport Mechanism" so....

It could go either way [​IMG]

5. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I'd say a CD player is a component that can generally read the disc and decode the digital information into analog. However, they may also serve as transports if their job is simply to "pass through" digital information.

So I guess a transport is a component that can read the disc, and then "transport" the digital information out (like to a separate processor). They call it a transport because it does the job of transporting (moving) digital information from one source to another (staying digital to digital).

Perhaps when the digital signal must pass through a component without it being processed, I'd call that component a transport.

Oh, and often this transportation of information can be as fast as the speed of light. [​IMG]

6. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

No. Well, sort of yes.

As stated, the "transport mechanism" is the part with the laser that reads the disc. The data that's read is then sent to the DAC stage, where's it converted to analog, and sent out of the player.

A transport is just that, the transport mechanism only. IT utterly worthless unless you have an outboard decoder. It's not called that because it's "transporting" the data somewhere else (even though it is doing that).

A CD player with digital outs, can ACT as a transport if you're using the digital outs, because the DACs in the player are not being utilized.

I am, however, confused by Mark Levinson (madrigal), on their one unit, that is a player, but they call it a processor. The No. 390S is a player, but they call it a processor. [​IMG] Anyway I hope I cleared out what a transport is. It's just the front half of a player, and when it's only that, and absent a DAC stage and analog output stage (obviously if it doesnt have dacs), than it's a transport.

7. Khoa Tran

i have another question!, why do i see quite a few of high end audio setups....they have their wires floating....with little(what looks like saucers) under the speaker and power cables....what does this do? i mean is there some type of interference? i keep my power cables, interconnecters, and speaker cables pretty close to each other and i don't have any interference....

8. Scott Oliver

Scott Oliver Screenwriter

Note these are the general reasons why as given by various audiophiles that I have talked to or read posts from. I am not saying this is an absolute truth. YMV. I am also not an engineer, so I will not try to give some formulaic reasoning. But since you asked!
    Ok Flamesuit ON!

Elevating the cables can help eliminate RF, EMI, and static build up in general.

This level of tweaking is VERY system, cable, and area dependent. Also it takes a very revealing system to notice the difference. For example, I have seen a couple guys who are using Sound Lab U-1 electrostat speakers (~$20,000) and Micro Omega cables (~$2,500/m) that would not think of using their system without cable elevators.

A general rule of thumb for laying cables is try to keep power cords away from the other cables or if they must cross to do it at 90 degree angles. But again the is also system and such dependant, so if you don't notice a difference. I wouldn't lose sleep over it. My system was once connceted with a certain amp and cable and moving the cable around and elevating the cable off the carpet helped eliminate some hum problems I was having at the time.

A transport is basically as described above. It can be in some systems a very critical piece because it affects the jitter level as well as the sequencing of the one and zeros so much. If these two areas are screwed up at the beginning of the chain then it is difficult to correct the errors latter on in the chain.

Madrigal's 390S is called a processor, transport, and Cd player because of all of its conncetions options. You can use its digital outs and transport mechanism making it only a transport. You can use its analog outs and transport mechanism making it a player (transport & D/A conversion in same chassis). Or you can use its digital inputs and its analog outs making it a processor or really should be called a DAC. Most CD players don't have digital inputs.

9. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Hmm. That seems pretty obvious, I'm surprised I'd not realized that myself. I almost wonder why more players dont have the digital ins, but then again, I figure the demand for that sort of thing is pretty close to zero.

As for the cable isolation thing... yeah, I've seen that debated and flamed a lot. I figure that if (when hopefully [​IMG] ) i have a system like that it'll be amazingly nice, and either the difference really won't matter, or the cost will just be nothing to me. It seems the arguments for cable isolation (even power cord isolation... [​IMG] ) is to reduce "elecrostatic coupling" with the floor/carpet, or some such minute thing, and also vibration. Worth trying, although you'd have to have one niiice system to be able to hear any possible change, and even then, chances are you're telling yourself you hear the change.

/Rant mode on:

I'm surprised that none of these endless tweakers re-wire the whole power grid with silver wire, or that someone hasn't come up with some superconducting wires yet. I'm sure someone with a lot of cash hanging around could hire an engineer to devise a cooling system for some superconducting wires. Which leads me to Dynaudio's battery powered preamps and amps. With the level of power cord tweaking (which seems WAY far fetched for me), I'm surprised not more people are running off of batteries, and eliminating the whole "dirty power" issue.

If ever I'm that wealthy, I'll flaunt my audiophile Bose Wave Music system, complete with a professionally done room, totally insulated for RF, and vibration and a gyroscopiclly controlled stable stand for it, and 100 grand worth of batteries and premium power cabling. Also have that $149 NASA-plastic matching stand too. See what kind of heart attacks I cause with that. [​IMG]

10. Khoa Tran

One of my uncle's friend has speaker cables for his two fronts and they are solid core gold....it's actually amazing...you still i don't hear the difference between my tara labs and those things but hey! he has the money =)

11. Scott Oliver

Scott Oliver Screenwriter

Heck my wife says she just wants to invent a system that has no cords altogether (power cords, interconnects, speaker cables). I tell her thats impossible and she just says "Well someone should because they are all just so ugly."

For example I show her this picture
    http://img.audioasylum.com/cgi/i.pl?...yroomstevo.jpg

And her response is "He needs to get rid of the wires connecting to the TV." Sheesh, women! Gotta love that WAF!

12. Norm Strong

Norm Strong Stunt Coordinator

Gold speaker wires? I can see a very good reason for them. It's a good way to store gold bullion. No thief is likely to find it. Lots safer than casting it into a sailboat keel.

13. Khoa Tran

Hey! what are you doing showing a picture of my room without permission!

14. Pete H

Pete H Stunt Coordinator

Lifting my cables (power cords and speaker cables) made noticeable difference. If all you do is home theater I don't beliew it would make much difference.

15. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I thought gold was a bad material to make wires from... isn't basic copper significantly better? Goes to show you how ego can cloud reality...

16. Khoa Tran

i have no idea....i always thought silver was the best....*shrugs* whatever...well i have a ht setup and a 2 ch setup...i dont know...i can't hear the difference so it's all good!

17. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

my what a large TV.