1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Stupid Question About Theaters

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew_Sch, May 10, 2002.

1. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

Okay, I'm planning on possibly seeing LOTR:FOTR for a sixth and final time tomorrow, but since it's only playing at cheap second-run theaters in my area I need to ask: Do pretty much all theaters these days feature some sort of surround sound, or should I call the theater to make sure? I'm not expecting Senator-quality sound, but if a theater doesn't have surround sound, it doesn't get my business.

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

You'd better call ahead, as YMMV.

3. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I'd definitely call. Lots of theaters out there with no surround sound.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Andrew: Maybe this is off-topic, but are you saying that you must have surround sound in every case? Or just with those films that have surround sound in the first place? I've had thoroughly enjoyable experiences watching 35mm versions of my favorite film in mono--back in the early '70s, of course. Just curious. JB

5. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

I've decided that it might be best not to tarnish my memories of my final two viewings at the Senator with some inferior-quality presentation. To answer Jack's question, if a film is made with surround sound, I have to hear it that way if it's at all possible. I don't mind updates of old soundtracks, but I have no problem whatsoever listening to films like Streetcar Named Desire orCasablanca in their original mono sound.