Stupid Question About Double-Sided Discs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew_Sch, Aug 15, 2002.

1. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

Okay, here's my stupid question: On a double-sided disc, does a side actually contain the information that corresponds to its label, or are they labeled opposite just to make it easier, so you can stick it face up. For instance, does the side of a disc labeled widescreen actually contain the widescreen transfer, or is that really on the side that is labeled pan and scam?

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

The label side up, the data side down. Just like a CD- if it say METALLICA, it's the other side that actually contains the audio data.

So, on a "Widescreen" inner label- the data layer containing the widescreen version is on the other side.

-V

3. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

OK, thanks for clearing that up. Any admins, feel free to kill this thread now.

4. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    just to add, though, that sometimes they make a mistake, e.g. my copy of Das Boot, which is a flipper, side A label is also side A data, which is wrong. I think I've seen reviews which noted that WS and pan-and-scam sides were sometimes mis-labelled as well.

5. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

This confused me when I got my first 'two-sider' - T2: UE.
    I assumed it was labelled like an LP and so stuck in side B when I expected Side A. It took me quite a while of hunting through the menu system for the movie before I worked out what I'd done!! [​IMG] :b

6. Bernhard

Bernhard Stunt Coordinator

Just one more comment to add: There no such thing as stupid questions.. there are just stupid answers. [​IMG]

7. HenrikTull

HenrikTull Second Unit

8. Chris M

Chris M Second Unit

Actually, I had a problem with Revenge of the Nerds double feature, I wanted to watch I so put that label side down and ended up watching about 30 mins of II before I figured out that this wasn't right [​IMG]
    Confusing. heh
    Chris.

9. jacob w k

jacob w k Stunt Coordinator

I got annoyed by the two disk set of From Dusk to Dawn with the movie being on disc 2 and the documentary on disc 1. Took me a few minutes to figure out where the movie was.