Stupid question about 4:3 HDTVs and progressive scan videogames

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by CraigPilecky, Jan 24, 2004.

1. CraigPilecky

CraigPilecky Auditioning

Ok this is probably a really dumb question. When your playing a progressive scan videogame on a 4:3 ratio HDTV in progressive scan is it full screen?

Also about Soul Calibur 2. Ive heard people say that in 720p mode its boxed down to a 4:3 size. On a 4:3 TV would it be full screen?

Thanks [​IMG]

2. Tony_L

Tony_L Extra

I think almost every game has a fullscreen mode, regardless of whether it's running in progressive scan mode or not.

3. Dean Martin

Dean Martin Stunt Coordinator

It would depend on the game, yes most games are 4:3 when played on a 4:3 set but if you play a game that is 480p, 720p, 1080i and it is 16:9 ratio you would see that game with letterbox bars on your TV. It can vary from game to game. Take a look at the chart they have composed at the top of this forum and you can see which games are widescreen, etc.

4. CraigPilecky

CraigPilecky Auditioning

So Soul Calibur 2 in 720p would have black bars on all 4 sides of the screen?

Hmm. Well I guess ill just have to see how they are when I pick up my tv this friday.

5. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Moving to Hardware.

6. Dean Martin

Dean Martin Stunt Coordinator

I'm not sure since I haven't tried SC2. It is 4:3 at 720p so you would get a squished image on a 16:9 Tv. I know that Syberia has a similar display issue. Basically I disable 720p for this game and then play it at 1080i but there still is some black around the screen.

7. CraigPilecky

CraigPilecky Auditioning

Ok one more question.

If for instance your playing SC2 in 720p on a widescreen, can you set the stretch feature on the TV to fill the entire screen? Or wouldn't that work?

Im asking because was going to get the 4:3 Sony KV36HS510 HDTV, but im planning to change my order to the 16:9 KV34HS510. So im trying to find out if there are any display issues I should be aware of.

8. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Soul Calibur will be windowboxed. If your tv can zoom in, that would maintain the aspect ratio. I don't know if any tv's can zoom in with a 720p mode though.
    (Edit: I just realized that you meant zooming on a widescreen tv. This would distort your image. You'd probably be best off with the 480p 16:9 mode)

Soul Calibur 2 is an abberation though - I wouldn't let it influence your decision much (if at all), since it is the exception and not the rule.

-Dave