Stupid Q? Why do some DVDs look better?!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tracy B, Aug 18, 2001.

1. Tracy B

Tracy B Auditioning

This may be a stupid question, but.....
    I have the Panny 47wx49 with a VERY low end progressive scan DVD player running into it (Pioneer DV-434; $189 Costco). My question is this:
    Why is there such a dramatic difference between the appearance of one DVD to the next. Are some DVDs just lower quality?
    I know there have been many gripes about the Panny 47"....but not from me. This set has been nothing but GREAT since I did the web fixes to adjust red push, etc. The Pioneer DVD player, albeit a very low end model (I've read all the info re it not being 'true' progressive, etc) is exceptional with all NEWER burned DVDs I've played on it. Gladiator, Dinosaur, Independence Day, Crouching Tiger, Contact, Enemy at the Gates....they look FANTASTIC!!!....better than cinema to my eye. Slighly older burns like Bladerunner, 2010, and Aliens look pretty good, but not as good as the aforementioned. Then I throw in UNFORGIVEN....and it looks pretty much like the feed off my dish....especially the 'darker' scenes. Very grainy....
    It seems that because my set and DVD player are remaining constant, it must be the quality of the signal that comes from the DVD itself. Am I a complete novice and everyone knows some DVDs are better quality, or is there some technical 'hardware' issue I am missing? Thanks.

2. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

No, it is the discs, and sometimes the movie itself. Going to a far extreme, during the commentary for Fiddler on the Roof I found out that they had stretched nylon stockings over the lenses to make the movie look old. I'll let the others talk about the rest.
    Glenn

3. Luis Gabriel Gerena

Luis Gabriel Gerena Second Unit

I think this belongs to the softwarw forum but anyway. There are many factors that affect the quality. The transfer from film to dvd is one if not the most important. How original print conidition also affects as in a badly preserve movie it will be very difficult to improve. And some times is kind of weird! For example take Noth by Northwest, a very old movie that has an amazing picture quality. So how come so many newer movies look worst than NBNW? No excuse for that in my book. One thing that also affects the quality is the ridiculous use of filters (IMHO). Want a good example? Try Traffic...
    Regards