Stupid People Should Not Have Kids

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matthew Chmiel, Mar 9, 2002.

1. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

I live in a condominium complex and around thirty minutes ago I was on my way getting the mail praying my package from Amazon.com would finally come. On my way to getting to the mailbox, I see a kid who can’t be older than three years old, hanging out of this broken window (thankfully this window was on the first floor and not the second floor). This old lady who is walking in the opposite direction as me is shouting at the kid to get back inside (the old lady wasn’t going up to the window, just shouting around 30 feet away from the window). I figure the old lady is his grandmother and I continue on my way to get the mail.

I get the mail and I start walking home with lots of mail in my hand. On my way home, I notice that the old lady is gone and now the kid has almost his whole body hanging out of the window. Then out of nowhere, the kid falls out of the window, landing feet first onto a pile of glass. I didn’t know what to do as I begin panicking. So I ran home to drop my mail off and ran back to see if the kid is okay.

I get back to the area where the kid fell and I begin to ask him questions like “Are you okay?” He won’t speak, so I go up to his front door and start knocking. No answer. I knock again. No answer. I ask the kid if I could hold his hand so I can find somebody who can help us. He lets me hold his hand and we start walking near the mailbox where there are a few people hanging out. Before I get there, I see an old lady walking by and I shout out “Miss!” to get her attention. She turns her head and I tell her what has happened. She decides to help me and we go all the way back to the kid’s house. We knock again, and as before, no answer. The lady decides before we call 911 maybe we should go to people she knows who live near by and maybe they know the parents and can help us. We go to three houses, and only one answered their door. They didn’t know the parents and they basically tell us to call 911. So we go back to the kid’s house and knock on the door (yet again), and as before, no answer.

A few minutes later, a young lady comes by and the old lady asks her if she knows who lives in the house. The young lady doesn’t know, so the old lady tells her the story. She’s in total shock as we tell her and show her where the kid fell. A few seconds later, an old guy who lives next door to the kid’s parents walk by and the old lady tells him the story. The old man tells us about the people who live there and how the window has been broken for almost a year now and then he suggests we start knocking on windows and shouting into them. The old lady yells into the window where the kid fell from and the old man begins to knock on the windows on the other side of the house as I stay with the kid. After doing this, the mother FINALLY comes out of the house (I’m guessing she was asleep).

The mother looks like total trailer trash (no offense to people who might get offended by this). We tell her the story, show her where the kid is bleeding (the kid has a few cuts on his feet). She acknowledges this and she begins to yell at the kid as she takes him inside. The two enter the house and shut the door behind them. Excuse me, but your kid just fell through a fucking window and landed on glass and your yelling at him? The kid could’ve been unlucky (thankfully he wasn’t) and might’ve landed on his stomach or throat and all you can do is yell at the kid? And where in God’s good name were you when the kid was hanging out of the window for over five minutes? Shit, we should’ve called 911 from the damn get go just to teach this woman a lesson on how to raise her kids properly.

The old lady and I just basically are disgusted by this and walk away after I tell her thanks for helping me. God, I hate stupid and incompetent parents. I say we start giving parents test before they have kids cause there are some people who shouldn’t have them.

2. BrianB

BrianB Producer

I repeat this mantra frequently: "Stupid people shouldn't breed".

3. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

I am surprised that some people can be so stupid and still live their daily lives without killing themselves and/or their families. You see these people in the supermarket parking lots and KMART alot [​IMG]
    You should have called the Cops... that's what I would have done. Stupidity should not be tolerated (the window has been broken for a year? Isn't it pretty cold in LV at night?)
    I fell bad for the kid [​IMG]

4. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

This has been Act I of a new screenplay entitled Domestic Disturbance 2: Return of the Chmiel - soon to be produced by Orion Pictures.

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Am I the only one that has the theme song to "Laverne & Shirley" running through my head after reading the words: "The Chmiel"? [​IMG]

6. Bill J

Bill J Producer

How far did the kid fall?

7. Rain

Rain Producer

In all seriousness, I have two things to say to you, Matt:
    1. You are a great guy for taking the initiative and looking out for that kid. Good job! [​IMG]
    2. Report the incident to social services. Seriously. I'm sorry, but I have no sympathy for parents who get busted for neglecting or mistreating their kids.

8. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Stupid people can't be helped. Our society goes to alot of trouble to try to do so but it's all in vain. There's "childproof" lighters, automatic seat belts, warning labels, ect., ect.... Stupid people will always find a way. They'll burn down the house, wreck the car, kill the baby, blow up the gas grill, They'll OD on narcotics, they'll dive head first into a shallow pool, they will find a way because they're stupid enough to do so. That being said, one of the highest, most fundamental rights in America is the right to be stupid. The government keeps chipping away at stupid rights... but they're stille a cherished right. Why would they want to regulate base jumping?

9. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

Matthew, I have to agree with Rain. What you did is superb and should be commended, so i commend you! [​IMG] I would definitely call the cops. As long as the cops know what has happened, they will have that in their file and if anything like that ever happens, more than likely, again, it may be the last time!
    You get a Star for the Day!!

10. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I'll back Rain also, you should call social services. Glad you were there before that little child was further injured. But, who knows what kind of conditions he is living in, make the call.

11. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

I also second Rain's suggestion on calling social services. Sounds like the "trailer trash" mom would be more likely to beat the kid than to help. What the heck is a 3-year old doing unattended to begin with?! I truly feel for this kid.

It's just amazing that you need a license to drive but any idiot can have a kid. Not to say that there aren't plenty of idiot drivers as well. Anyone that has kids needs to realize that bringing them up right is the most important responsibility they will ever have.

12. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

I think we should pool our money and get Chmiel a Rini Bell clone for his outstanding and heroic action against the awesome forces of stupidity!
    We will fight them in the supermarkets, we will fight them at the video rental checkouts, we will fight them at the amusement parks and the maternity wards. We must prevail!
    (I think smart and honourable people should be given harems to stem the tide of stupidity that is diluting our countries' lavish lifestyles, dammit!)
    [​IMG]

13. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

as a child welfare social worker i also have to agree with rain that you should seriously consider calling the nevada dcfs. on the surface, this definitely appears to be a case of neglect. however, just because you call dcfs doesn't mean the child will be removed or the mother will be jailed or fined. this could be an isolated incident and perhaps nothing will come of it other than the mother having her window fixed (or the dept. paying for her window to be fixed). child welfare services is a quirky profession because the people who call generally are on the outside looking in...our job is to go inside and look out so the point of view of the caller and the worker who actually interviews the family can often be very different. don't worry about reprisals as most human resources agencies (if not all) allow the caller to remain anonymous. if you really believe there is an underlying need or this was not an isolated incident...please call as soon as you can.
    kevin t

14. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

Hey Matt you should definately be commended for helping out that kid, I don't know what I would have done in that situation. Shit like this just makes me realize how lucky I am to have such good parents.(aaaaaaaaaawwwwwww)[​IMG]

15. Matthew Chmiel

16. Bill J

Bill J Producer

Did your package from Amazon come?

17. Matthew Chmiel

18. Bill J

Bill J Producer

I try to avoid ordering snappers from Amazon because they always come damaged. I hate those damn things.

19. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

ttttt

20. Josh_Hill

Josh_Hill Screenwriter

Thats a funny story. I wouldnt say the parent is stupid, just not very irresponsible.