What's new

stupid or curious sub design question(s) (1 Viewer)

Geno

Supporting Actor
ive read many things on the lowther horn and how it helps with the low end on full range drivers. my stupid question is:

a. would it benefit a subwoofer to have an enclosure that is designed around a lowther horn?

b. or is the lowther horn tuned to higher bass feq's say around 30-35 Hz?

c. can it be tuned lower?

d. it seems that a lowther horn sub would be just a more complex transmission line sub or am I looking at it the wrong way?

these are just questions that i am curious to know the answers to. not really considering this type of enclosure unless it would dramatically help out. any comments are appreciated.

PS I still dont know the specs on my drivers but they are 10" and I beleive designed for a sealed enclosure that have a free air Fs of around 27 Hz

Greg Monfort

Supporting Actor
>ive read many things on the lowther horn and how it helps with the low end on full range drivers. my stupid question is:

>a. would it benefit a subwoofer to have an enclosure that is designed around a lowther horn?

>b. or is the lowther horn tuned to higher bass feq's say around 30-35 Hz?
====
There are many different horn designs for various Lowther drivers, but all are tuned too high for sub duty. I'm not sure what the lowest one is, probably the Big Fun, but I doubt if any of them have much output below 40Hz. The older one's I've auditioned sure didn't, even stuck in a corner.
====
>c. can it be tuned lower?
====
Horns aren't 'tuned' except WRT their HF extension, but designed for a specific Fc, just like a vented design.
====
>d. it seems that a lowther horn sub would be just a more complex transmission line sub or am I looking at it the wrong way?
====
A horn is a type I bandpass cab with a very large flared vent. Many so-called backhorns are more folded TLs than true horns.

GM

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks