Stupid newbie needs a helping hand

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rick_N, Feb 2, 2002.

1. Rick_N

Rick_N Extra

Guys, I'm stumped. I have recently purchased a Kenwood Vr507 and some speakers. I am fairly sure I have the speakers hooked up correctly as I can get sound out of them so again, pretty sure. I have an HDTV Toshiba 55" Tv, DVD player, Xbox, PS2, etc. I need a really easy "hold my hand" help to hooking this stuff up. I will give you my how its hooked up to TV and if someone can help by telling me how to hook the stuff to the receiver, I would be eternally thankful.

Wall-->Digital Cable-->Cable Box-->VCR-->TV (all coax)

PS2-->Video1 (RCA)

Dreamcast-->Video2 (RCA)

DVD player-->HD1 (the green,blue,red cables)

Xbox-->HD2 (same as above)

An audio out was hooked up to my old JBL HTiB in my receiver using a red and black hookups. It worked then but now I am totally out of my league and lost. As you can tell, I'm not sure what all of the terms mean. So I am trying to learn on the go. If I need to explain anything else, please let me know and I will do my best. I appreciate everyone's help on this as my 507 was an open box with no manual so I am flying totally blind on this one. I would like to have everything go through the receiver if possible but again, don't know if that's possible. To summarize, I can get video as long as the item is plugged directly to the TV, but I get no audio. None. If video is plugged to receiver, then no video either. What am I missing?

2. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Quite a system - (and quite a mess)! No, just kidding. We'll skip the CATV line.

If you take the 3 RCA's (like from the Dreamcast) and plug them into your receiver, then you need to run the video line to the TV too, from your receiver's output.

That will require more cables, so what is normally done is to plug the 3 Dreamcast and the 3 PS2 cables into your receiver (separate inputs, of course), and then one yellow video out to your TV. (Either video 1 or video 2). The receiver will take care of the audio.

If the receiver can handle 2 component inputs (green, blue & red), then you could again use your receiver to switch between them and have one component set to go to your TV -

BUT, those are just for the video. The audio for the DVD and the XBox need to go to the receiver again, either with a 5.1 digital coax or with a toslink cable.

It can be confusing at first, but just remember that the audio (red & white) must go into the receiver to get sound and the yellow must go to the TV.

I hope I didn't make it worse. Just write back if it is.

Glenn

3. Rick_N

Rick_N Extra

Ok there are no red, green, blue jacks for the receiver. So I know I need to go with those to the tv. Now my assumption is that the red and white jacks are an analog signal and that when I hook those up to the receiver that's why I'm getting front sound only as its just an anaolg signal. In order to get DD or DTS, do I HAVE to get a digital cable? And if so, how will I get DPL2 to the Tv? Does it automatically come on with pro logic sound? Also, I have gotten my PS2 and Dreamcast to work but again, only sound from front speakers and no sound from rear. This is either more confusing without the manual or the manual would confuse me more. I am probably going to buy a couple of digital cables this morning to try that out but it still wouldn't answer the question of getting regular surround on Tv, Ps2, etc. Help????

4. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Right! The red and white cables are for standard left and right stereo (analog). To get Digital, you'll need either a digital coax or a toslink, but you may have to go into the setup menus of the devices in order to enable it. the receiver should switch automatically to the proper digital signal.

Glenn

5. Rick_N

Rick_N Extra

Got Digital Optical cable and still same problem, getting front speakers but still no surround speakers.

6. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

You're not going to get any sound from the surround speakers unless the audio is encoded in surround format. Regular stereo has no surround sound. It needs to be either Dolby Surround, DD 5.1 (or 4.0, 5.0), or DTS 5.1. Look for those labels on your games, movies, and TV programs.

Then when you do see those labels you have to usually click on the "Surround" button on your receiver to tell it to process the surround signal. Otherwise it will just assume you only want to hear it in stereo.

7. Drake

Drake Agent

Rick, it's possible that whatever source you are listening to (or playing with) is not encoded with surround sound. It could very well be a stereo mix as opposed to a 5.1 mix.

Also, the surrounds are not going to emit a constant sound like the fronts will. They are effects-only channels (in a movie 5.1 mix). Does the receiver have a test tone feature to send signal to each speaker in sequence (check the remote to see if there's a reference to test tone)? If it does try using the test tone sequence to see if you're getting sound in the rear. Does the rear of the receiver have a "digital input" (either coax or optical) for the DVD channel?

I'm not familiar with your receiver model but I'm assuming it has the capability of decoding DD and DTS. Look for the DD and DTS logos on the front of the receiver. (My aplogies if I missed it in your post.) I'll assume it does. For your DVD player, be sure that you have set-up the player properly from the "setup" menu on the DVD remote. It's possible that you have selected (or the player came from the manufacturer with settings preset for certain output).

Most PS2 games offer a stereo mix. Very few have a multi-channel mix. Get the sound squared away with a DVD first, ensuring you're getting full multi-channel sound. If you don't have a test tone feature on the the receiver's remote, try a THX certified disc that has the THX sound intro. Toy Story 1 is a good one.

8. Drake

Drake Agent

Rick, you might try going to Kenwood's web site to see if you can download an owner's manual too.

9. RichN

RichN Stunt Coordinator

I have a VR-509, which is almost the same as a 507, and you realy need a manual to get everything set up correctly. I will give you some things to try using the procedures from the 509 book. First of all, try using the test tones to check your speakers. Do this by pressing the "Set up" button on the front of the receiver (I don't know if the 507 has two main speakers (A & B), but be sure you have the "A" speakers selected, if that is where you have them connected). After pressing Set up, the display should say SUBW ON. Turn the Multi Control knob if you don't have a Subwoofer to OFF. Press Set Up again to set the size of your front speakers, keep pressing Set Up to go through all the speaker settings. When you have set the center speaker, the receiver will enter the test tone portion of the setup. Use the Multi Control knob to adjust the volumn of each speaker. The sequence is: L--C--R--SR--SL--SW. The tones will repeat until you press Set Up again. Next you will input the distance from the listening position to the speakers. When set up is complete, the display will show which speakers are in use (little boxes where each speaker is located). You ALSO have to tell the receiver what type of audio siginal is connected to each input. Use the Input Selector knob to select which input you want to program (Video1, Video2 etc.). Then press Inpu Mode button and step through the options (using the Input Mode button), in DTS mode they are: D-auto, D-manual. For DVD/6ch there is also a 6ch INPT and an Analog. In modes other than DTS/DVD/6ch there is an Analog along with the two digital modes. If you have either digital mode selected for the input that the TV is connected to, you won't hear anything.
    Also, remember that if you have a video input connected to the S-video connector, you MUST have the output conneced to S-video also.
    I hope this helps you.
    RichN

10. Rick_N

Rick_N Extra

Thanks to all the replies for this newbie. It wound up being the darn speaker a&b switch on the front. All the hassle and that's what it was. Again, though appreciate everyone's help on this as I was never more confused about something than like this. System sounds awesome.