Stupid mistakes you've made

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bryon_M, Nov 12, 2002.

1. Bryon_M

Bryon_M Extra

I'm a noob and I know I learn from mine and others past goof ups. So I'm going to share one I did tonight and hopefully more will follow.
    So I get my new speakers in today, jbl nsp1's and a sony wm40 sub. I was in a hurry just to hear them so I set them up in a none optimal fashion. The sub was right next to the tv and the speakers are precariously sitting on their stands. I ran out of room under the tv with my new receiver so I had to set my dvd player on top of the sub.
    Everything's going great, I tested the system and it was sounding really good. We get to a really loud part of the movie we were watching, the bass just starts booming and I get a big smile on my face. All the sudden the movie kind of stutters and the sound shuts off for a sec. Strange first thought was I overloaded the receiver but that didn't make sense. We continued watching the moving and it got to a part were the bass was pounding rhythmically and dvd is stuttering the whole time. Finally I figured it out, since the dvd player was sitting on top of the sub every time the bass hit it was stuttering the dvd. Ok off to the store to buy an a/v cabinet tomorrow and I'll make sure the sub is no where near the dvd player [​IMG]

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Take a look in the DIY section and search for "Flexy". You will find lots of people who went to the local hardware store and bought pre-finished shelving and long threaded rods and built their own racks.

I also suggest that when you lay out your rack you do the following:

- Put the receiver on the bottom. This allows the speaker wires to flow out without obscuring the other equipment.

- Above the receiver put the devices you never touch. This could be the CATV box, the DSS receiver, etc.

- On the top shelves put the devices you interact with like the DVD player, VCR, Game systems.

Look at the back of the equipment, pick a side and run all the power cords to that side. Let the interconnects dangle down the middle or bundle them down the middle.

You can get velcro strips in colors from many hardware stores and these are preferable to the zip-ties.

Hope this helps.

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I think this counts as one...
    I decided to remove the stuffing from my sub (PSB Subsonic 6) and add real stuffing in order to lower the tuning point. Problem is, I left no space for cooling for the amp and it blew a transistor which I later had to replace (all 4 transistors for good measure). PSB wanted to charge me cdn$600 for the entire amp. I decided $10 in parts and 1 hour of my labour was a better investment.
    I removed some of the stuffing. [​IMG]

4. CaseyLS

CaseyLS Second Unit

I bought a Samsung HTiB. Boy did I get what I payed for. OH yeah, I did take it back

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hmm...here's a few that i remember.

1. tinning the ends of my speaker wire and getting solder all over the speaker grill.

2. messing around with the wiring of a defective halogen lamp which was plugged into the same surge strip as my ht gear -- while everything was still hot. i shorted something and nearly blew out the surge strip. all my ht gear shut down for an instant...i nearly had a heart attack.

3. thinking i could get a better connection if i ever-so-slightly clamped down on the ends of my rca cables. they ended up being so tight that i actually broke the rca connection on the back of my receiver. had to take it to the factory to repair it.

and those are just the few that i remember...yikes!

6. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Cramming in an optical cable without pulling off the protective tip..

7. Bryon_M

Bryon_M Extra

I'm rofl at all of Ted's.

Oh I did the exact same thing, Colin. In fact I gave up on it and was going to return the cable. A few days later I picked up the package to take it back and one of the tips had fallen off and was rolling around in the box. I swear you could've seen the light bulb come on over my head.

8. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

9. Scott Pagac

Scott Pagac Stunt Coordinator

I was pretty excited when I got my H/K PA 2000 amp to run my mains. I had to run a few sets of RCA cables to reroute speaker signals (One of the many nice things about the H/K AVR 520). I did not have a whole lot of room to work with (and I did not make the time to move stuff around) and wires were just hanging all over the place.

With the flashlight in my teeth and the final set of cables in my hands, I hooked up the amp to the receiver. I made sure to double and triple check all the things I did so I wouldn't have any surprises when I fired things up. It would either work or it wouldn't.

I turned up the gain on the amp all the way, turned down the volume on the receiver so I would not blow myself up, and pressed play on the CD player ("Cyclops" from Bruce Dickenson's "Balls to Piccasso" with the huge opening hit was cued up and waiting).

Well, at least it worked...

My girlfriend dropped the dish she was holding, I literally had to scoop my bottom jaw off the floor, and if my cat had claws, he would still be stuck to the ceiling.

The volume of what came out of my new speakers was something no human (or pet cat) should ever be subjected to without proper warning (like "Run!"). The volume control on my receiever was of no help either. I reached for and pushed as many power buttons as fast as I could.

Turns out, in my haste to get things up and running, I had mistaken the TAPE outs for the Speaker sends. "Doh!"

Nothing like a full-thottle, non-volume-controlled siglnal to a full-gained amp to get the ticker going.

10. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

Scott, [​IMG] I'm sure the phrase that came to mind after that one was "Wile E. Coyote, super genius!" [​IMG]
    Bryon, I was at my sister's house after she got a new HT system, and when I put the Avia LFE sweeps on, it started to stutter and skip. Moving the DVD player off the subwoofer fixed the problem, and then I told her why I moved it. [​IMG]
    As for me, I haven't done anything real major, but there have been times I've watched half a movie, or even a whole movie and then discovering that I forgot to turn the subwoofer amp on.
    Reversing the Pr and Pb cables on a component video cable will make flesh tones take on a greenish purple tint. I speak from experience. Also, connecting a composite video cable to the Y component input (instead of the composite input) results in a black & white image with this weird screen-door effect. Once again, I speak from experience.
    KJP

11. Blake R

Blake R Stunt Coordinator

Accidentally shorted out my old HK surround channel because of incorrectly soldered wall plate jacks during system install. When I turned the receiver on the power indicator went from green to yellow to red. Gulp. Overload. Ran a continuity test and found the problem with some embarassment. Fortunately the HK's protection circuitry saved the output amplifier before any devices got smoked.

12. Duane_T

Duane_T Stunt Coordinator

Same as ColinM: trying to

"Cramming in an optical cable without pulling off the protective tip.."

Felt like such an idiot. I had to buy another one recently, and noticed they have a warning about it - we must not be the only ones.

13. SteveMo

SteveMo Stunt Coordinator

I heard rice was good in speaker boxes so I tried those styrafoam peanuts and they stuck under the subs cones because of staitic electricity or something. They made loud clicking noises that went all over the room I thought my amp was underdriven or I had overdriven the subs. Fellowship Of The ring was a nightmare but I figured it was because of too much bass.

I built some speaker stands myself out of wood. - Speaks for itself

I bought 70 dollar speaker stands which I stll have but don't want to sell because I still (don't use myself but)own some RCA satallite speakers. I got them even though I knew I was getting all floor standing speakers, which turned out to be much sooner than I expected.

I stuffed my center channel with tissue paper only to realize the speaker connection plate was on to tight and caused some accoustical vibration naturally as well. I had to visit the store to compare before realizing it. (I fixed those on my speakers with duct and painters tape.)

I tired bending warped Formica and Pollywall (that I tried as screens) back into shape.

14. Greg Kolinski

Greg Kolinski Second Unit

My greatest was on initial hooking up of a reciever years ago,didnt read manual of course[​IMG] .On volume control 0-70 or something,thought 0 was low[​IMG] oops,talk about jumping when I cranked it "down"to 0 [​IMG] It was exact opposite

15. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

Y'all are amateurs...

I was checking out my 20-year-old Sansui receiver, making sure it was OK to sell (a beautiful piece of equipment, by the way). It was sitting on top of a speaker, about four feet off the ground.

I was about 15 feet away from it when I needed to disconnect the speaker wire from the receiver. Rather than walking my lazy ass over to the receiver, I tugged on the wire, yanking the receiver onto the floor. Aside from a dent on one corner, still played beautifully.

Jon

16. JesperT

JesperT Auditioning

This is my first post, so Hi All [​IMG]
    Being a newbie in the HT area I recently bought the KEF KHT 2005 speaker set, a DVD player and a surround receiver. Even though my setup is still fairly modest I was quite excited and couldn't wait to sit back and enjoy the experience.
    So excited, in fact, that I assembled my brandnew armchair all wrong. I bought this very comfortable chair with an adjustable backrest and all. I oriented the backrest the wrong way, but the worst thing is that I didn't even notice it until a visitor pointed it out to me about a month later. It only took him one look to notice - it was that obvious. Ridiculous.

17. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

I've driven TV out of sync in the service-level geometry/convergence. Boy, did I make sure to fix that as quickly as possible. I also had to completely re-do the HD geometry from scratch because of some things I did.
    I also rarely remember to write down the original values while in design mode and have accidently changed parameters and wreaked all sorts of havoc on my poor set. The poor thing still works like a champ though. [​IMG]