What's new

Stupid Isobaric Subwoofer Question. (1 Viewer)

Stephen Weller

Stunt Coordinator
I'm leaning heavily toward a DIY isobaric sonotube design, to maximize the WAF. Then I had this thought (Uh-oh!):

If two clamshelled drivers effectively halves the cabinet volume, would two clamshell assemblies (wired appropriately) effectively quarter the cabinet volume?

Just thinking outside the "box." :D

Stephen Weller

Stunt Coordinator

Oh, no. That's not what I thought you meant.

*I* meant one clamshell assembly at one end of a sonotube, and another clamshell assembly at the other end of the tube. Wired correctly, all four drivers will push-pull in unison. Follow?

And will it really quarter the required cabinet size?

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
A clamshell assembly at either end of the sonotube wired to operate as a dipole is what you've suggested.

The two clamshell assembles in this config won't quarter the volume requirement. Each one by it self will half the requirement of volume, but only be capable of the output of a single driver in an enclosure twice as big.

Putting them in the same enclosure on either end will double the volume requirements and double the Vd. But as soon as you wire them like a dipole you'll end up with major bass cancellation issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks