Stupid Hollywood Video Store

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shawn C, Feb 12, 2002.

1. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

Is anyone elses Hollywood Video like this:

New Release DVD's are stored on the shelves in alphabetical order. No problem.

ALL of the other DVD's are stored by category; Drama, Comedy, Horror, etc. They are NOT in alphabetical order within the categories! I mean, there are not just a few title misplaced, they are in no order whatsoever.

I went in there yesterday looking for Apocalypse Now, hoping that this situation had been corrected. I had noticed the non-order problem LAST MONTH.

Netflix is sounding better and better.

Is this a lazy manager problem or is this the way they all are?

2. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

The Hollywood where I live is very well organized, with all of the titles in alphabetical order. My only complaint is that the store rearranges its floor plan about once per month, so it always takes me a minute to get my bearings.

If I were you, I'd be a pain in the ass and make a store employee come out and help you find whatever title you're looking for. If they have to do that very often, maybe they'll pay one of their minimum-wage goons to organize things.

3. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

You would think it would be company policy to have ALL the titles in order...Screw 'em

4. Paul D G

Paul D G Screenwriter

Must be just your local store.

However, the local mom and pop video store, which beats the pants off BB and HV by miles and miles (and in california, where BB owns the video rental market I was overjoyed more than you can imagine to discover this place a mile from our new home) has this problem. Videos are in the general area alphabetically (E's are all together) but not in order locally. Very annoying. Sometimes it's really bad and an R movie is over in the T's.

I've expressed annoyance numerous times when they told me a movie was in store but I couldn't find it anywhere. Would be nice if they actually rectified the problem.

-paul

5. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

Here is where my local Hollywood Video rules...

They now stock the widescreen only releases. The store started with The Grinch and is recently American Pie 2.

But here's the "Doh!" part.

My local Hollywood Video still purchases the rated versions of products. So AP2 was the R rated version.

If I go down the street, Blockbuster has the unrated version but its the open-matte version of the film! And this is the one Blockbuster is selling PV for $9.99.

6. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    I have been to two Hollywood video stores, and they are both the most UNORGANIZED stores I have ever seen.
    In the catalog section mainly. Titles are so out of order.
    Dramas are in action, comedies are in dramas, action in comedy.
    It's truely sad. Makes me so pissed.

7. Robyn Young

Robyn Young Stunt Coordinator

Just to let you know--

Over the last week or two it has come down from corporate that the older dvd's would be categorized alphabetically. Many, many stores have not done this, including mine, simply because it takes a lot of time, and we just got the signage last saturday. For the last big project that came down, corporate gave us labor to do it. If they don't for this one, you might get one employee working on it for 10 minutes at a shot, simply because store management will get hammered for going over labor.

This is a huge project, and maybe you have absolutely no idea how huge it really is. Imaging rearranging over 1500 dvds by category, then alphabatizing them. Now picture people coming up to you every 5 minutes needing help. You help them, then end up helping 5 other folks find thier movies, then go back, to find a trio of 5 year olds playing with all the movies you've been working with. Most of us "minimum wage goons" only work 5 hours every two to three days, simply because we have REAL jobs, and are just doing it because we enjoy it.

We did a dvd cover conversion project that we started in September(the week of the 11th, as a matter of fact), and just finished it up last week. Maybe you should ask your store director about what's going on in your store. I'm guessing they are in the throes of transition.

Well, this minimum wage Hollywood goon has to get back to her real job.

Robyn

8. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Robyn- Don't you think it would come natural to put these videos in alphabetical order as you got them? If that meant showing up 2 hours before the store opened everyday I think it's worth it. It would bug the hell out of me if my videos weren't in some kind of order and I was running a business like that. Would a 7-11 bother to open if their products were scattered about and had no order? I think they would at least take a day off to put things as they should, so their customers could find them. Puts less stress on you the worker and potential customers.

But I have not worked at a rental store before, so I can't put myself in your shoes. The HV in my area happens to be great, mucho 16:9 material and things in order. They are my last link to B&M rental stores, if this one fails to deliver I'll have to go with netflix.

9. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    The Hollywood by my house is well organized and carries all WS DVDs [​IMG][​IMG]
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

10. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    Robyn-
    I use to work in a DVD/Laserdisc store before. I always rearranged Laserdiscs/DVD's when they needed to be rearranged.
    Whenever I go into my local Hollywood store, and I see they are not busy. The employees are doing NOTHING!
    So, there is clearly time to rearrange some DVD's so people can find things easier.
    I'm not lashing out at you, just making my own personal comments[​IMG]

11. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

There are 3 relatively close to me. Two are well-organized. One is not, and I can never find anything there. Guess which one of the 3 never gets my business anymore, even though it's the closest?