What's new

Stupid DTS newbie question (1 Viewer)

Rod Melotte

Stunt Coordinator
I have not been using the DTS function because basically it didn't work. I was still getting used to everything else in Surround Sound. One thing at a time.

Tonight I was actually reading instructions and saw that my Sony NS700P was not set up correctly so I pressed all the correct buttons and still nothing.

Then upon further reading I spotted something that brings up a question.

I need a one plug (1 each side) coaxial digital cord that runs from the Player (Digital out) to the Digital Input jack on the reciever. This I do not have.

Questions

1. is this a SPECIAL coax cord that I will have to buy?

2. What does this cord do anyway?????

3. Is this the missing link to my DTS problems?

Steve Brown

Auditioning
I'm still learning at this, but I think I can answer your questions.

1. Kind of, but not really. It needs to be a 75ohm cable. If I remember correctly a normal RCA video cable will work just fine for this. OR you can go with an optical cable if your DVD and receiver are equipped with optical outs. I prefer optical, simply because it sounds the same is coax and it isn't subject to RF interference. You can pick up an optical cable at Radio Shack for about $20-$30.

2. The cord passes the digital sound track from your DVD player to your receiver. Once in the reciever, the signal is decoded into the 5.1 channels that is DTS (barring any sort of pre-amp setup).

3. Yes. This is the reason you don't have digital sound right now. When you use RCA cables to pass sound via L and R channels, you only get stereo sound. Any sort of surround sound you get with this set is "fake" meaning it is generated by the processor on your reciever and is not true digital sound.

Rod Melotte

Stunt Coordinator
Ahh - that was my confusian, I had L/R going from the player to the reciever so I just felt I was getting what I needed.

I'm really surprised my reciever manual (Yamaha RX520) does not even mention what the plug is for. Just points it out.

Thanks!

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Ahh - that was my confusian, I had L/R going from the player to the reciever so I just felt I was getting what I needed.
Then you've never had digital sound of any kind yet. Dolby Digital also requires the digital connection- so all you've expereienced is Prologic downconvert from the analog sends.

YOu have to have the digital connection- disconnect the analog and play with the setup menus on your receiver and DVD player until you get sound... then you'd be STARTING to experience Home Theater.

-Vince

Haywood

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Rod, you might want to try to set your receiver to auto detect what sound mode you are using. I'm not to familar with your unit but most have this option in the menu. You should also make sure you have the DVD player set-up to output the audio signal correctly. Lastly, you usually have to select the DTS soundtrack from the language or audio set-up menu on the movie your trying to watch. Hope that helped.
Later Haywood :cool:

Rod Melotte

Stunt Coordinator
Wait a dog gone minute. I can see right now that manuals are lacking (not a surprise).
When I hooked up my RCA cable to the digital output of my player and digital input of my reciever, I did not unhook my stereo audio cord. I notice not in teeny tiny letters "or" next to the picture.
I have Optical difital cord
or
coaxial digital cord
or
Stereo audio cord
at the moment (I'm at work) I have the stereo audio cord AND an RCA cord hooked to the digital in/out puts.
I'll write soon with the settings I'm using to make sure I'm doing it correctly - I do have a couple questions!!! Stay tuned.
thanks a ton Rod

Rod Melotte

Stunt Coordinator
OK - here's my Quick setup.

1. Language - English (so far so good)

SCREEN SETUP

2. TV Type - 4:3 LETTER BOX (27in Sony WEGA Trinatron - it does have a 16:9 function but I'm not that advanced to figure that out yet).

3. ???Component Out - Interlace ??? I'm not sure if I should have Interlace or Progressive - I use S-Video cords where I can.

4. Type of jack you are using - Digital Output

5. Audio cord connection - Dolby Digital (as opposed to D-PCM)

6. DTS - ON

how's that!! As I said - I still get ZIP on sound. Perhaps because the Stereo cord is still connected??? Or the digital cord is just an RCA Cord???

for reference - Reciever is a Yamaha RX-V520

suggestions? comments??

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
Rod,
The common thing that trips up a lot of folks is what Haywood mentioned. You have to set your DVD player for DTS = bitstream (not PCM). AFAIK, every player will default to PCM for this setting to avoid damaging your speakers should your receiver not process DTS.
It's a *feature*. :)
Don't forget to select the DTS option from the setup or language option on the DVD disk too (as Haywood said).
I thought it was worth reiterating a couple of things. HTH.
Edit: I see we posted at the same time. What is your DVD player?
I have my player (Panny PR91) connected to my receiver's digital input with a digital coax cable (AudioQuest). I have component cables out of the player directly to the TV. I also have RCA audio cables out of the DVD player to the TV so that the DVD player can play through the TV without the receiver, if necessary (rare, if ever!). I did that mainly so the family could use the DVD player and not have to worry about cranking up the receiver, etc just to watch a movie in my absence.
I am unfamiliar with the Yammies.. but make sure you use the DVD receiver option and not the TV option. Occasionally, I'll find that my sound isn't quite right.. and I'll find that I forgot to switch the receiver from TV function to the DVD function.. and will have DPL II instead of DD or DTS running my speakers. (I also have TV audio outs going to the receiver.. which is why I get DPL II sound when I forget to switch the receiver).
(I know.. a macro on the remote will solve that.. but that's another tweak on the list)

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor
If it won't be too much of a case of the blind leading the blind, I'll offer my observation on getting DTS from a DVD through my receiver and to my ears and let you decide if it helps any.

1. The DVD player and the receiver need to be connected digitally. The appropriate cable should be connected to the "digital out" of the DVD player and the "digital in" on the receiver.
  2. The DVD player needs to be configured to use the correct digial output. Mine has two digital options: PCM and bitstream. I learned the other day through trial and error that DTS will not communicate using PCM, only bitstream.
  3. The receiver needs to be configured to sense the digital input and understand that it is DTS. As previously recommended, some type of "auto" setting is probably best for this.
Hope this helps.

Rod Melotte

Stunt Coordinator
Great - now I REALLY can't wait to get home. I think the problem is . . .

1. user error - I'm a programmer so I immeadialty blame the users (which in this case is "I").

I have Auto Detect On so PERHAPS I was getting DTS and didn't see the little dts thing light up. When I was testing I would SWITCH to DTs and get nothing. I will wager that it's the RCA cord and Stereo cord being the problem.

at least I now have enough knowledge to have a clue.

thanks

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Rod,

One of the big things is assigning the digital input to the right place. Many receivers have their digital input able to be associated with multiple modes: so the dig in could be for CD or for DVD or for Sat or whatever.

If your digital input is assignable-- 9 times out of 10 the digital in on the back will be labelled with a number instead of a name (It would say DigIn1 or something, not DVD). You will need to make sure the one your connected to is assigned to the mode you are in.

Also, as mentioned above, many receivers have to be told to look for the digital in, instead of the analog. Some force you to press a button or make a menu choice in the receiver for the input- some also have "autodetect" modes that will look for a digital connection type. Check the manual, or look on the face for an input mode button, or something similar.

Finally, check the player setup menu and make sure both dolby and dts are set to BITSTREAM.

As long as you have a cable connecting the digital output on the player to the receiver, the receiver digital input you're using must be assigned to the DVD mode, the receiver must be told to look for a digital signal or autodetect, and the dvd player audio modes muct be set to bitstream.... THEN you should get digital sound.

And it's a whole new ballgame.

-V

MartyK

Agent
Rod,

Having the stereo cord connected to your DVD is not a problem. You can have the analog (l/r output) and the digital cable plugged in at the same time with no ill effect. The important thing is to have your DVD player setup correct and your receiver setup correct. On my Denon receiver you have to "assign" the digital inputs.

Marty

Rod Melotte

Stunt Coordinator
I found the problem!!

Looking at the pitcher in the manual for the receiver there is a box that has Digital input. in the faintest/smallest lettering possible in printing the coax input that I was going to is for CD. The one labeled DVD for the Optical cord only.

I actually had to get a magnifying glass out to read the words lol.

Rod Melotte

Stunt Coordinator
Well - I have dts working now and the difference is like the difference between Mono and Stereo. Even my wife noticed the difference. She said it now sounds like her dad’s HT (He’s 75 and spent $7000 on a 56in Sony and Bose system with extra’s).

I purchased a video optical cable, plugged it in, put in Jurassic Park III and scared the crap out of my dog.

Thanks guys!

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Just a FYI - The optical cable is not a video cable, it's an audio cable.

This is the first time you have digital sound- so not only should DTS sound different- this should be the first time you have Dolby Digital as well (you can't get dolby digital from the analog setup you had before).

Now, you really need AVIA and a SPL meter to get the system dialed properly.

-V

Larry Cole

Auditioning
A few months ago I bought a Sony DTS receiver and a fiber optic connecting cable but could only get Dolby Digital. I had assumed that the DVD would put out a DTS signal and get decoded by the receiver. Wrong, digital breath! My older model DVD is not equipted to pass DTS. Love the Dolby Digital, however. Hearing dinosaurs behind scares me and the dog!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks