What's new

Stupid(curious) question (1 Viewer)

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit
What would it do if I took the video out on my TV and hooked it to a receiver? IS there any purpose to this? I think that was dumb....

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
The video out on your receiver can have two purposes. First off some receivers have onscreen programming to send the image to the television. Secondly many receivers can be used to switch video signals so it's possible to it's possible to watch DVD, VHS satellite, etc using a single jack on the television. There is no need to send a picture from the television to the receiver.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
NO, there is really no reason to do this, since your TV is the final destination for all video.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
if you need to record the video picture from your tv, then you would utilize the video-out.

i did something similar when i made my party vhs tape. i took the video signal from the cartoon network, then mixed in my own audio.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Of of the biggest reasons to use a receiver to do video switching is because a TV may not have enough video inputs for all of the sources you want to watch, for example if you have a game console, satellite, VCR, DVD, LD, HD and you want to watch all of that on one TV, most TV's will not have enough iunputs to handle that. So you run all of the video to the receiver, then simply hook various video outs from the receiver to the TV (composite, s-video, component) as needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks