What's new

Stupid Computer!!!! (1 Viewer)

Andrew S

Stunt Coordinator
Alright, I had the feeling there was a virus on my computer because everytime I tried to install a program (like WinAmp for example) using the self-extracting file, it would say there was an error: Check for possible virus. This would happen with other programs as well. So since I don't have access to anti-virus software at the moment (moment being last night) I just reformatted my computer since I had nothing very important on it. Installed everything alright, modem, sound card, video, etc. all work fine.

But now if I leave my computer for a couple of minutes, a black screen comes up with the little "hyphen" thingy in the top left corner blinking and it won't stop!!! I take this to be that the computer's "busy", but busy doing what?!?!?! The worst part is I can't get it to stop, and I always have to reset my computer.

As you can understand, it's a real pain having to startup your computer everytime you use it, even if it's only been 5 minutes since the last time you used it.

So if anyone can offer any advice on what I can do, I would appreciate it very much.

Thanks
Andrew

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Get an anti-virus program ASAP with the newest virus data file and run it on your system. Formatting will not get rid of boot-sector viruses which will re-infect your system, which is what I'm guessing you might have.

The only ways that I've found to get rid of boot-sector viruses is to (A) run a low-level format on your hard drive (the tool can usually be found on the hard drive manufacturer's web site) or (B) use fdisk to actually change the partition information which will then write a new boot sector.

Regarding (B), try splitting the drive up into two drives, format each drive, then put the partition information back to how you want it to be and reformat. That way, the boot sector should have been rewritten twice over.

Now, I will say this as well ...

I ran into something similar very recently where the problem was actaually that my motherboard was failing. In my case I was losing the IDE controller, and it was definitely causing errors on self-executing files. Finally it got to the point where Windows 2000 would not even install without a blue screen during the installation. That *could* be the same situation here.

You should also disable all power-saving functions in both the CMOS and Windows since not all motherboards respond well to those.

Since you've already reformatted, I would suggest changing the partitions first, just in case it is a boot-sector virus, and running a complete, up-to-date anti-virus program. (McAfee has it available for download for free.)

If that still doesn't work, I would suggest focusing your efforts on the motherboard and/or hard drive as the problem.

Mark Hsieh

Agent
Wow, I've never seen an error message that says, Check for possible virus.
Definitely invest in a virus scanner. I leave mine off just to save resources and only turn it on after I've downloaded a file so I can scan it before running it.
If it is a boot sector virus, it usually won't even let you boot up, but I haven't seen a boot sector virus for years.

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
Hmm, actually that's a great question. Not sure if housecall can handle MBR viruses. It can probably do so if the OS is on a disk not infected by the MBR virus.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
If it is a boot sector virus, it usually won't even let you boot up, but I haven't seen a boot sector virus for years
Oh, yes, it will. My wife got hit by one a few years ago and we identified it as a boot-sector virus because it stayed even after formatting the disk and reinstalling the operating system. It wasn't until we rebuilt the partition table that the boot sector was finally overwritten, thereby wiping out the virus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks