stupid chunks of retread

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Philip_G, Aug 28, 2003.

1. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

twice now coming to work on the interstate (this week) there has been basically an entire semi tire layng in the road. Lucky me today I clipped one changing lanes because I didn't see it while checking over my shoulder [​IMG]
    time to find someone to repaint my rear bumper facia.

2. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

They say that when a tire sheds it retread that it produces enough force to break every bone in your body. As a motorcyclist I'm not worried so much about the retread on the ground as I am about the remaining retread on the 18 wheeler.

3. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Chumming for alligators, eh what? Nasty stuff they are.

4. Kevin Thompson

Kevin Thompson Stunt Coordinator

I HATE that! You'd think there would be a law against retreading tires, in this day and age.

At least here in Germany I've never seen this type of debris except in the slow lane of the Autobahn. It would pretty much ruin your day to hit one of those suckers at speed.

5. David Preston

David Preston Supporting Actor

I hit a chunk of it in my first car about 10 years ago and it made me so mad. It was only a small piece but it chipped the paint a little. I try to keep my eyes peeled for this kind of stuff all the time. I couldn't imagine getting hit with some on a motorcycle.

6. ken thompson

ken thompson Second Unit

I had some of that stuff kick up from the car in front of me. It landed on the hood, rolled up the windshield, across the roof and mangled the crap out of my radio antenna on the rear of the car. All this at about 75 MPH.

7. David-S

David-S Second Unit

I've had one explode next to me (I was in the passenger seat as we passed it) and I can only imagine if it had been a motorcycle.... scared the CRAP out of me, the girl driving almost went off the road, and they had a few good paint chips....

8. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

While I do not enjoy driving 90 miles an hour in the far left lane in Atlanta, the good thing is you never find that stuff over there. Large trucks I think have to stay in the right 3 lanes and it's a 6-8 lane highway.

9. Ryan_C

Ryan_C Second Unit

IIRC, my mom's friend had some retread fly up and hit the windshield of her Jeep and spider-webbed it on one side. Not sure if the retread was kicked up by the car in front of her, or if it came of the semi though.