What's new

Stupid, but really, how much better is a Denon than a Pioneer? (1 Viewer)

Kyle_Y

Stunt Coordinator
I own a 100x5 watt Pioneer VSX-D509S($435 retail, paid way less). I am considering upgrading to a Denon 2802 or Yamaha RXV-1200. I have 4ohm towers upfront and the Pioneer has a hard time with them(has shut off before), so I was thinking of moving up a little. PLII is somethign I want, and DTSES is something I would want for future upgradeability. But my real question is, WILL I NOTICE A DIFFERENCE IN MY SYSTEM? And will it be a $700 difference?

ToddJoseph

Stunt Coordinator
Kyle,

If you have pre outs to hook up a seperate Amp then I would try that. If you like all the features on your receiver, it would be easier to hook up a seperate Amplifier. The difference between the Denon and others is the DAC's and the internal amplifiers. Denon has better amplification compared to pioneer, sony, JVC.

With 4 Ohm speakers your still not getting the most out of them if your using a Denon receiver, IMHO of course

PeteD

Stunt Coordinator
I went from a Pioneer VSX-498 to a Denon AVR-1801.
The difference in sound quality was pretty large. I could tell the difference anyway.
My only complaint with the Denon is that it might be slightly underpowered at 70wpc, compaired to the 100wpc of my old Pioneer. But most people at the time I bought it had a similar complaint.
The ultimate test is to bring one home. I'm not sure about Hawaii, but here in Toronto there is a high end store that will take back anything within 7 days, even if you don't like the way it looks next to your curtains. I've tested the claim :) but check with them first.
Hope this helped...
Pete

Christian Speights

Stunt Coordinator
What are your listening habits? Do you like bass heavy techno at ear-splitting levels? Diana Krall in the background?

What is the sensitivity rating for the speakers (or, what speakers are they?)

Denon does make better stuff than Pioneer for the reasons already listed, but will it be enough to justify a $700 difference? Don't know.

I think Todd is on to something. If you have existing pre-outs on your receiver and are happy with its features, try a separate amp. You already mentioned that DTS-ES would be a future upgrade. You would only be missing PLII...but you would be giving your speakers more to work with.

Down the road you could pick up the extra speaks you need for ES/EX and pick up the Outlaw 950. Then you wouldn't be missing anything at all. Including some hard earned cash.

Just a thought.

Haywood

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Kyle I changed from the VSX-D509. This model is like a year older than yours and doesn't have S-video or DTS. The lack of these features was my main reason for upgrading, but I also wanted Pro Logic II and a better power supply.
I choose the Denon 1602. It is only 70x5 but sounds much better than the Pioneer. I can set the Denon to reference level and get clean distortion free sound unlike the Pioneer. I believe that the 70x5 Denon is probably equal to or more powerful than the 100x5 Pioneer, and this is clean power not just over rating.
Keep in mind that I am using Energy E:XL 16's that are 8ohms at 91db, so they are pretty efficient. So I would have to agree with Tom that pushing a 4ohm load you will probably not get the most out of your speakers.
But to answer your question I would say you should notice a difference even with a 1602 70x5 or 1802 80x5. Head to a local store and do some listening. I paid $279 for my 1602 and it was well worth it.
Later Haywood :cool:

SamRoza

Stunt Coordinator
I think that if you stick to the Elite line, you won't have trouble. I've never had my machine shut off on me, I've never had distortion problems, either.

I'm a believer in Pioneer's Elite receivers, and I wouldn't trade models for the world.

Sam

Kyle_Y

Stunt Coordinator
Well, the Pioneer does NOT have Preouts. So, buying a separate amp is out of the question. And I cannpt afford to buy a good preamp and amp. The reason I am thinking of the Denon is because it has a good processor and has 7.1 preouts, and I know that the soudn will be decent, and better than my Pioneer for now, until I can afford to buy a separate amp. Also, this receiver is NOT of the Elite line, so it's not so hot.

GabrielC

Stunt Coordinator
PeteD, out of curiousity, which store did you go to in TO?

And I've got a VSX-D509S as well, and I've had it cut off on me (driving 8ohm speakers), it was playing a Crystal Method track though, so...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks