Stumped by IE 6.0 crashes/errors HELP!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Alf S, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Alfie
    I'm going crazy...

For several months when we login to our home PC (Win98, 56 K dial-up)and click on IE, we seem to have a 50-50 chance of having our IE and PC for that matter freeze up and give us .DLL error messages.

I've re-installed Windows and reinstalled IE6 and have told it to "repair" IE6" on a few occassions, and just when things seem to surf smoothly one day, the next, it freezes up.

Weirdest of all, it seems to happen mostly when (if we're lucky enough to get to surf) we try to go into Ebay, and Yahoo. Not sure why in the world those two particular site would have such a dramtic impact. Maybe just a coincidence.

I've installed Fix-It 4.0 utilities and did a major "cleanup" of my system, and thought it helped, but my wife called this morning saying a "crash" message flashed on the screen as soon as she connected to the internet.

I'm almost wondering if my ISP is wacked since my previous ISP never seemed to exhibit these problems..is this possible?

I'd appreciate any thoughts as to what else I can do...

Oh and yes we've talked about Cable, but they want $50 a month plus install fees, and DSL is through Valor Telecom who bites the big one and they want $35 a month.

Thanks in advance
    Alfer

2. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

You know, there really is more to life than Microsoft and Internet Explorer. Just because it's built into the O/S doesn't mean that it's the only viable option out there.

Have you tried to use Netscape 7 or Mozilla to confirm that it's an IE issue? You (and everyone else) should be using these just for their built-in pop-up blocker as far as I'm concerned!

**sigh** Anyway ...

It is possible that it's an ISP issue when it comes to an inability to download certain aspects of a web site. Many ISPs in order to reduce their bandwidth have proxy servers that cache commonly-accessed web sites. If their proxy is screwing up, it might be causing problems. eBay and Yahoo are obviously very, very popular web sites, so I would not be surprised if they're proxied.

However, a proxy problem would not cause DLL issues unless it's sending back bad data that's just confusing the hell out of whatever DLL is crapping out on you. Without knowing exactly which DLL is bombing out, it's very difficult to say what the problem is.

3. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Alfie
    Thanks for the info John,

I've never even considered Netscape because basically I have no idea how to begin or set it up, and what conflicts it may create since I have IE6 and Outlook Express already.

I'm willing to try anything at this point.

Is it just a matter of downloading it from their site, or are there adjustments I need to make on my PC/Browser or whatever?

Do I UNINSTAL IE??

Curious minds need to know.

Thanks
    Alf

4. John_Berger

5. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Alfie
    Thanks John

I may try it out.

A friend of mine said if it continues, I should rebuild my system from scrtach and he even offered me an extra hardrive to start out.

Of course that'll end up being a whole new "How the he** do I replace my hardrive??" thread. [​IMG]

Thanks

Alf

6. John_Berger

When you decide to start that thread, we'll be here to help.

7. Thom B

Thom B Stunt Coordinator

Dude, before you even think of rebuilding your pc, write down the name of the dll and the full error message, if/when the error reoccurs. Go to the MS knowledge base ;kbhowto]here. Do a search on the error, and just the filename. Chances are pretty good that there's a solution posted.

There are a number of places where this could be occuring. Including, but not limited to, loose modem, modem driver compatability, isp software compatability, modem settings, antivirus app compatability, etc. It's likely the fix is a downloaded patch, or settings change away.

Once you get the error and filename, post 'em here. There are a number of other resources for this kind of info that I'd be happy to tap into for you. Best of luck.

T

8. Glenise

Glenise Supporting Actor

Run msconfig at the run prompt.
    How many things do you have running in the background?
    Try updating your video driver.
    What video card does your system have?
    Have you upgraded to IE6SP1?

9. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Alfie
    Glenise,

I'll have to check some stuff when I get home, but I do know I've updated all my drivers recently and I have updated to IE 6 SP1.

Thanks everyone for the help..

Looks like my buddy is going to help me install a new hardrive and we'll load it all up from scratch and start over..I have saved all my needed files of course.

Alfer

10. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    John_Berger, one thing I find frustrating about Mozilla-based products, is that they are slower than dirt. They are slower to load the app and slower to load pages. Have you found this to not be the case, or do you just live with this problem. Anytime I see Microsoft bashers, I try to gain a better understanding of what went so horribly wrong for them that they would forgo all the conveniences that I see. I am in IT so I am constantly trying new technology, but usually, I come back to MS for the basics. As a project, I recently built a linux machine out of a 500Mhz PC I had laying around. Not only did it take me over two weeks to get the machine to work, but now its infinately slower than my wifes 400MHz pc running windows 98. I'll probably never understand why people would put up with this crap just to say they're not running Windows or MS IE.