What's new

Stuido 100's, with 85w..am I totally missing out? (1 Viewer)

Mike_T_

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Studio 100's V2 from Paradigm and really love the sound. Yet, I've heard from so many people that they really come alive with around 150-200W. I'm powering them now with a Yamaha ..85w per channel receiver. It's a nice entry level receiver RX-v795..but lacking in power. Do the Paradigm's REALLY change that much with a lot more power? My dealer tells me that better components like a high end receiver will do the same thing for the sound...
My question is this...
Should I Bi-Amp it (in that case what is a good high power amp..perhaps just 3 channel?)
or, should I look into a good receiver like a Denon, or Onkyo etc. even though they might only have 110w per channel?
I guess I have to think of the future, and seperates would be great some day. I don't know much about Amps right now. So my problem is that right now, I only need a two channel amp for music, and I can bi amp it with my Yamaha for movies to get the other 3.1 channels. However, if I go with a pre-amp someday, I'll want a 5 channel amp...AHhhhhh!!!!!!!

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
The more power the better. I noticed a huge difference from my Pioneer Elite 29 (120 WPC) to the Outlaw 750 (165 WPC). I am in the process of trying a 2 channel 350 WPC amp. Ill let you know my thoughts...
------------------
Link Removed
The Newest Sonotube
Gregg's DVDs
The Family Units

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Mike,
You will defiantly get more out of the speakers when and AMP or receiver pushing 120+watts. If you do plan on upgrading for more power this would be the best time to add a 3 channel amp to power the fronts and Centrex. I just went through this dilemma with my Mini Monitors that were being powered by a Denon 1801(70w*5). I added a Rotel RMB-1066(6x60...3x150) and am completely amazed at the new clear/detailed sound I'm getting from my speakers.
Kevin

Mike_T_

Stunt Coordinator
What kind of price range am I looking at for the Outlaw or Rotel? Both have very good reputations..

Mike_T_

Stunt Coordinator
I checked out that Outlaw 750 and it looks fantastic! Great reviews/price etc. If I were to Bi-Amp this, do I essentially run a connection from the speaker to both the receiver and Amp?

Shad R

Supporting Actor
more watts does not always mean better sound. I have JBL Reference (not sure which model) front speakers, botson surrounds and a Polk center powered with a 75 wattx5 Onkyo reciever, and it sounds BETTER than my friends Sony 100x5 with the same speakers. The guy at Soundtrack (awesome, smart well educated guy!) said that ONKYO products use higher current amps, and sony "cheats" on their ratings, and I have heard the difference. Decibal levels on speakers are just as important. For example, When I had KLH fronts, they were only rated at 90 Db, but the JBL's are 93, and they sound louder at the same volume. Don't put too much emphasis on watts. Although, I'm sure an 85 watt to 200 watt comparison would yield better results.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
My 50 watt per channel Technics amp is powering my PSB 6T's mighty nicely right now. (Waiting for my receiver to get back from repair). Sound quality is very pleasing. Granted I can't produce ground shaking bass at high volumes, but at medium or lower volumes it sounds fine. If you want loud AND lots of clean bass I imagine you need lots of power. My speakers are 91 dB anechoic and 93 dB room. What efficiency rating are the speakers you have there?

Mike_T_

Stunt Coordinator
They're 91 room and 89 anechoic. I totally agree that power isn't everything. It seems however that time after time I hear from owners that with these speakers you need lot's of power to really make them open up. A great pre-amp or receiver will certainly make a difference as well. I'm just trying to figure out which is the best road to take.

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
There is no question you are underpowered those Studio 100's.....
These speakers SING with external power amps..... Most of the guys around here that have the Studio 100's prefer matching them with Parasound.
I'm sure there is nothing wrong with what your hearing from your gear... I'm just saying you can gain lots of headroom with more power, and play reference levels with ease.....
------------------
Thanks,
Steven R. Simon
HTF Administrator
Theater Pics Updated 9-11-2001
Send Email: [email protected]

DavidY

Supporting Actor
Based on what I have read, ATI and it's cousin, the Outlaw, are regarded to be on the bright side of neutral. With the Paradigm Ref's on the bright side of neutral as well (some call it crisp sounding)....these would not likely be best match available. Have a listen to make sure. Another amp to consider is the Anthem MCA series II (MCA-2, MCA-3, & MCA-5...number = no. of channels). They may also be a bit bright, too.
Dave

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
I also have the studio 100's v.2. I recently switched from the Sony Tan Power amp that was rated at 115w per channel to the Anthem MCA5 and what a difference it made. The detail is where I really noticed a difference. I loved the way they sounded with the Sony but at higher volumes, it seemed to struggle a bit. Now with the anthem amp it is like listening to everything again for the first time. Just thought I would throw out my experience.
Brandon

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I went from the amps in my Denon 3300 to a 5 channel HK amp to a really nice Musical Fidelity amp and each time the differences were not subtle...incidently all three amps are rated close to 100 watts per channel give or take 20 watts...not all watts are created equal.
------------------
http://www.mts.net/~glendap/
[Edited last by Andrew Pratt on November 01, 2001 at 09:16 PM]

Trevor Schell

Supporting Actor
Steven nailed that one down pat.
The Parasound amps are an excellent match for the Studio 100's.
I have the Parasound HCA-3500 (350wx2) powering the 100's right now and the headroom is immense with them set at large for HT.
Gregg,,Which 350x2 amp are you testing right now?
Thanks,
------------------
Trevor..
shellshock.gif

Link Removed Sonically Enhanced
*Outdated pictures due to recent upgrades!

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
You guys are all obviously smoking something nasty, because hasn't it been proven that all amplifiers essentially sound the same?
:)
Good to hear a discussion on amps... I'll be looking for a stereo power amp somewhere down the line too, and in the budget category, the names which seem to stand out are Rotel and Parasound, followed by Adcom and Acurus (less attractive for me because I've heard they are a little bright), and of course NAD and Creek. I'm still trying to figure out which amp(s) to shorten my list down to. I think the Rotel RB-981 and the Parasound HCA-1000A (John Curl's design, if I'm not mistaken) would be the ones I'd finally choose between.
Any comments and/or advice?

TerryC

Stunt Coordinator
A view from the other side....
I did brief A/B switched back to back tests on a Parasound HCA-1205 amp and my Sony 777es and noticed no appreciable difference.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
I'm looking forward to demoing the 100s with an Odyssey Stratos once it comes in (although I have other speakers in contention as well). High current!
Doug
------------------
"Today is a good day to die." ...Old Lodge Skins

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
When I get the money to upgrade it will be a 5 channel amp. I heard the Platinum Audios aren't working until you pushing about 125 watts easy.
------------------
ONCE, I CONSIDERED SPARING YOUR RETCHED LITTLE PLANET CYBERTRON, NOW.., YOU SHALL WITNESS IT'S
DISMEMBERMENT...
Link Removed

Zbigniew

Stunt Coordinator
Saurav,
it is not what we are smoking, it's speakers which are smokin' :).
I moved my Monitor-9 from Sony DE-545 to Denon-3300 to Parasound 1500HCA (2 x 207).
Sony is underpowered. Denon was OK. Parasound moves.
Correct, each amp is this same - for amp part of it ( or maybe). Parasound HCA are A/AB class, with plenty of power and capacity to feed speakers; Sony internal amp feels like small 2 stroke engine matched to big rig tranny - takes it lot of time to feed all what is asked. Sony lacks the dynamics, charge ready to go from piano to forte and then cut out current delivery fast enough that you have fast decay of sound.
BTW, from discussions with Parasound folks - if I rember, 1500 was a Curl design; I am not positive if a 1000 was. I was adviced to go for 1500 over 1000 every time - and since 1500 are discontinued, you can get them reguraly on Audiogon around $500 a piece. For 2 x 207 into 8, 2 x 350 into 4, or brigded mode - I will take it. Mine is not for sale... (cats love to sleep on it in winter :).
_zjt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks