Stuffing Sony SA-WM40 with polyfil

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike_A, Dec 6, 2001.

1. Mike_A

Mike_A Stunt Coordinator

i've heard of lots of people stuffing their sa-wm40's with polyfill to tighten up the bass. Well, i've got one on the way and am considering this little mod. But i have questions:

1. how much polyfill to use?

2. do you just take off the speaker to get access?

3. are there any issues with reattaching the speaker (isn't it supposed to be an air tight seal?)

Would appreciate any help or tips on this, or even any comments on the sound improvement.

mike

2. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

Welcome Mike!

I don't have an answer to you question/s, but I recommend you doing a search on the Sony sub. It has been talked about numerously times, and I guarantee you will find your answers from previous posts!

Best of luck!

3. Haywood

Haywood Stunt Coordinator

Hey Mike here's a quick run down, you can do a search after if you need to find out more details.
    1. Use as much as you like, the more you use the tighter the sound and the lower the overall volume level. I ended up with the box little more than half full and try not to block the port.
    2.Remove the grill and you will see screws around the woofer. Remove these and gently lift the woofer out, be careful of the wiring, you should have enough length to rest the woofer on the cabinet while you work.
    3.When your finish stuffing gently place the woofer back into place, line up the crews and holes and then just tighten it back up. You should have no problems with sealing the enclosure.
    Now you can set it back up and try re-calibrating. If you like the result great, if not try adding or removing polyfill until you get the desired sound. Either way the Sony is a great sub, I sold my to a friend for $100 when I got my SVS 20-39, I think he got a great deal.[​IMG]
    Later Haywood [​IMG]

4. Mike_A

Mike_A Stunt Coordinator

thanks guys! I did some searching, and just to make it easier for those searching in the future, I'm including a link to the most useful thread I found.
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=13449
    I think I'll listen to it for a bit before going for the free upgrade (it always feels good when you get new stuff and when you upgrade, so I'll separate the two for double the fun [​IMG] )